1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Just imagine if the news networks came out with polls showing Harris or Trump up 12 to 15 points right now. Their viewership would crater. I've read enough of the cross-tabs of the polls to know that the polls are "off" - I don't know which way, but there are numbers that just don't add up and or square, whether it is the male/female gaps, the younger voter totals, the demographic and income numbers. They are interviewing a fictional electorate. Maybe they don't know how much they made last year, or who they voted for in 2020, but the numbers are off.

TowelWaver likes this.
  2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There may be evidence that "polls are crap," but there's no evidence that news organizations purposely make things appear to be a "horse race" if the numbers say otherwise.

Screenshot 2024-09-25 at 12.35.10 PM.png Screenshot 2024-09-25 at 12.33.42 PM.png

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

The attention economy is way different — and way more desperate — than it was in 2016 or 2020.

TowelWaver likes this.
  4. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

That does suck. Luckily, we have mail-in voting. Not sure if that's an option for you. I think every state should have both options. You can still vote in person in my state as well.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Vermont has implemented a new state law where the SOS mails ballots to all registered voters and tracks every single one.

Voters can also drop ballots off at the poll or mail them to the town clerk.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Who will pay a dime for anything with Alex Jones’ name or stench on it? I can’t see how that InfoWars brand has any appeal.

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

"No one" ... Michael Lewis wrote a whole book about it, The Fifth Risk.

garrow likes this.
  9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Those polls were not wrong. Biden absolutely crushed Trump in the popular vote. Clinton beat him by a healthy margin as well. Blame the electoral college.

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

11. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Grass, cash or ass. Nobody rides for free.

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

But polling that way may be too much to ask the pollsters.

Draft saved Draft deleted