1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Walz was definitely nervous at the start, and it probably didn’t help that the first question was basically, “World War III basically started today. Should we bomb Iran?” He was simply less polished than Vance, even though Vance’s “polished” answer to that same question was, “First, a little bit about me …”

Walz’s nervousness actually reminded me of the debate that got Biden tossed from the campaign. The format was similar in that the candidate had 2 minutes to answer a question, and it seemed like (as I argued with Biden’s downfall) that the Dems’ prep strategy seemed to be to cram everything we know about that subject into that 2 minutes. So they end up talking fast and thinking ahead as they’re talking, and the result is often a not very clear answer. The good news for Walz is he got better as the night went on.

As for the China thing, I wish Walz just would say, “I was in Hong Kong and China that summer. I’ve always equated being there with what happened at Tiananmin Square. So, for me, over 35 years, they became the same in my head, and I misspoke when I said I was there at the exact same time — instead of a month later,” before going into why his China experience with teaching was important in shaping his career and views.

But also, it’s a weird gotcha report to say he wasn’t there on that day but was there a month or so later. I mean, who cares?

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I find the differences in political advertising messages fascinating. Trump's current blitz, at least in my area, is regarding prisoners being forced into transgender operations, which is not only a blatant lie, but is not a topic I think most typical Americans are invested in?

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I'm also amused by their tactic of Photoshopping a cross-dresser, especially with BIG RED LIPSTICK, into a clip of Harris. That's the same commercial where they cobble together a Harris statement with sound bites from several appearances.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Shapiro would've murdered Vance.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yup. That is who I found myself wishing was up there last night. Choosing Walz over Sharpiro was a mistake, one I hope doesn't cost her too much.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

A combination of Minnesota Nice and knowing he had his own falsehoods held Walz back from haymakers like that. He was frozen on the being-in-China stuff.

SFIND likes this.
  8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I’m seeing way less talk about this debate among friends and friends of friends compared to the varsity event last month, which tracks. But the universal takeaway from them (almost all right-leaning voters from the South) is gushing over how both candidates treated one another and that they thought both sides offered substance.l and well-reasoned arguments. So maybe don’t wet the bed just yet?

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Shapiro on the ticket could have become a disastrous liability depending how the ME goes in the next few weeks.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell, because of course I didn't watch it, the debate hurt neither candidate and may have helped both slightly. Alas for Vance, the fact he's getting so much attention today is gonna prompt Trump to do something REALLY weird out of jealousy.

Dyno, playthrough and SFIND like this.
  11. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

We would have spent the first four weeks of his announcement talking about his stance on Israel, his stance on protestors and the sexually harassing staffer (who was a Republican, by the way. Part of Shapiro's attempt to be bipartisan) they quietly paid $300,000 to to go away.

By the way, anyone else notice the Palestine protestors have all but vanished?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2024 at 9:21 AM
  12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The way events are trending over there, I wouldn’t count on that brush fire being contained.

Draft saved Draft deleted