1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Roddick's pretty good at this.

Driftwood, nietsroob17 and UNCGrad like this.
  2. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

Just got my 136-page voters' pamphlet.
    Some pretty useful information, including how you can watch the elections process in person.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

When I was a local reporter I covered a town election. So I'm waiting at town hall when the ballots arrive for the count. The prick assistant town manager says to me, "OK, we're doing some serious stuff here so you have to leave."

"I said, "State law says otherwise, Jim. Better get to work."

HanSenSE, garrow, Driftwood and 2 others like this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If elections nationwide were like they were in Oregon,

There would be no live shots of people lined up around the block waiting hours to vote.
    You would hear no stories about snafus at polling places.
    You'd see no "map guys" talking about where the outstanding ballots are.
    No shots of candidates voting in the morning on Election Day
    You would have a good idea of who had won within an hour of the 8 p.m. cutoff. Though now, ballots with a postmark of Election Day are counted, and we have ranked choice voting here and there so some smaller races take a week or two to sort out if the margins are close.

Four BIG House races out this way. Dems looking to retain 3 (one in SW WA and flip one.

5. kickoff-time

kickoff-time Well-Known Member

I like that we have mail-in voting for a few reasons.

One is that I have some time to know a little more about candidates in lesser-known races. If I was only voting in person I would probably forget what most stood for or ignore most propositions as I went to the polls. I don't vote straight party line and a lot of smaller offices are independents.

garrow likes this.
  6. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

And there are about 30-40 ballot dropoff box locations in my county, which square-miles wise is one of the smallest in Oregon. There's one about five minutes from my house.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

That's pretty much Colorado, but the ballot must be in hand by 7 p.m. on Election Day, not postmarked. I think that's better. You get your ballot three weeks out and it needs to be in the mail a week out or you can drop them off at one of several drop-off places in every county. I have three within two miles of where I live. And you can also sign up for where your ballot is at. When it was mailed, when it was received, when it was counted.

We don't have ranked choice, but it's on the ballot this year and they're pouring a ton of money into it that it will probably pass.

franticscribe likes this.
  8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Oregon used to be like that. Not sure why they changed it, you get your ballot in plenty of time to drop it off before 8 p.m. Tuesday.

It's totally secure, despite what the usual right-wing crackpots say. They blame VBM for not winning a statewide election this century, instead of the usual awful MAGA-extreme candidates they run.

garrow and MileHigh like this.
  9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

DeSantis is such a fucking pudknocker. They’re all scared to death that they’ll look like bipartisan grownups. Chris Christie’s finest hour as a public servant was working with Obama to help people in need after Superstorm Sandy. And to the dumbfuck hateful trumplicans, it was moment of shame and weakness.

Fucking hell. We can’t go back to trump making decisions on who gets aid based on if they kissed his ass or not.

10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Andrea Mitchell shoulda retired 10 years ago. A pioneer but the game has long passed her by. And she sounds like she has marbles in her mouth. A painful listen.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  11. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Her interview on the podcast yesterday was newsworthy and substantive.

Traditional media is upset because they don't have the access they want or big interviews they can promote. That's all.

12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

And sure. Trump is a serious person and a heavyweight. I'll leave that second one for a Starfriend joke.

Draft saved Draft deleted