1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Afghanistan nets the military money and personnel and weapons systems and importance (and power) for its leaders. The "freedom" and "democracy" rhetoric is the crap that people in power say to keep people draped in their flags and cheering flyovers at football games.

Baron Scicluna likes this.
  3. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

Are you the one who says Daniel Dale's fact checking of Trump was overkill?

Mngwa and Splendid Splinter like this.
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I don't agree. I think it's something else now. But I understand your point.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I think both what Alma and Ragu have brought up are elements of the Forever War, but not the largest one. The American political elite is certain that the American public will not accept defeat by its armed forces nor limiting those forces' size and cost in any way. My personal thought is that without "the world's finest and most powerful military" a/k/a The Troops to brag about, the political class is worried the public might start focusing on THEIR flaws, which are considerable. In the case of Afghanistan today, polling so far indicates this ain't so and that's Biden's plan to get out is very popular.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I think that part of the reluctance to leave Afghanistan by some active soldiers and veterans might that, in the absence of a definitive “victory,” justifying U.S. deaths and casualties can be difficult. They might not think the losses are worth fighting to basically s stalemate with the Taliban.

I think that not being able to point very many cut-and-dried wins since WW II only rubs salt in that wound.

But history is full of examples why Afghanistan is not a place where forces invade and win.

7. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

During Vietnam, Vermont Sen. George Aiken (the Bernie Sanders of his day) said the U.S. should just declare “We win” and leave

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Wait -- didn't Raygun win that invasion of some Caribbean island to rescue med school students too dumb to get into mainland schools?

9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

This friggin' guy!

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I love that foto - he even LOOKS like "angry old guy" talking about "how much better things used to be."

garrow likes this.
  11. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Yes and don’t forget Panama.

12. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

Last edited: Apr 29, 2021
Draft saved Draft deleted