1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

They do it because they know it will make others clutch pearls. That's enough for them. That's where we are.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Washington state has a website where voters can check the status of their ballot. People who used that drop box have been advised to use that and contact the Sec. of State's office. They'll be given provisional ballots and if their first one doesn't turn up, that'll be counted. But the voters have to check.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

At least in Oregon they have a ballot tracking system where once your ballot is processed (signature verified) the ballot is then taken out of the envelope and put in a stack for Election Day. They don't push the button until next Tuesday. So if Washington is similar, voters whose ballot haven't been processed in a day or so (and who used that drop box) will be able to fill out a new ballot. I imagine the WA SofS will make this a priority. Also, in our county they do allow "observers" in to watch the process of ballots being taken out of envelopes, signatures verified etc. But do the problems the last couple of elections, they require observers to sign up for a class a week ahead of time before they can observe. Keeps a lot of the yahoos out.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I've been seeing a commercial where it's mentioned that anyone can look to see if someone else has voted. Not how they voted, just whether they did.

Is that true? If so, I don't care much for that. Nobody else needs that information.

5. DanOregon

https://www.cnn.com/2024/10/28/politics/virginia-supreme-court-voter-purge/index.html

To me, this is just as bad. Voter rolls should be locked once registration is closed. Nobody added, nobody dropped. You want to fill out a provisional after and have your status verified before its counted fine. States playing games with voter rolls this close to election day needs to end. A 90-day moratorium on any rules, laws or actions that impact election eligibility or ballots being counted should be part of a national Voting Right Act (I don't know if its in the Lewis Act).

WriteThinking likes this.
  6. DanOregon

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Being reported that Hinchcliffe's original monologue called Harris the c-word, and it was removed by Trump campaign. Which means they approved every other word of it.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

They're going to wind up putting up several CCTV cameras covering all the drop boxes.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

SJ.com moderators, “see even THEY won’t touch that word!”

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  10. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Trump likes to weave, he likes to riff
    Oh great here's Tony Hinchcliffe
    Just another MAGA pr*ck
    Spewing racist rhetoric
    From Seattle to San Juan
    Let's finally be done with vile Don

11. DanOregon

Guess who writes laws? Guess who needs to find out if someone hasn't voted yet? Its all connected!

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted