1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Businesses that refuse to pay a salary that will allow their employees to survive the cost of living should quit whining about “people preferring to get unemployment checks instead of working” and start paying a fair salary. A business that can only exist by keeping its employees in poverty is a business that needs to die.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You refused to pay a million dollars for your home instead of $500K. You refused to pay $90K for your car rather than $40K. You refused to pay $10 for a gallon of milk instead of $4 a gallon. I don't want to put the country in debt paying all of those people you did wrong, either. It's not only unfair to the rest of us, it creates the conditions that you are complaining about, by throwing the markets out of equilibrium and driving up prices of everything. That kind of stupidity --repeated over and over again -- what has made it so that people find their paychecks aren't "a living."

Last edited: May 7, 2021
  4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I think I've told this before, but if not:
    A friend of mine and his brothers own some local convenience stores. He refuses to pay more than $7.25 but complains that he can't get employees because McDonald's, etc. starts people at $9.50.
    I basically tell him "tough."
    If he wants to argue that they shouldn't start people at $9.50, OK, that's at least a conversation, but don't complain because you are unwilling to pay the going rate.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

This.

when creating a business plan the owners profit and income should come after paying expenses. Paying employees is a significant and important business expense. Businesses that can’t survive paying livable wages but remain in business are subsidized on the backs of labor.

OscarMadison likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Here on Cape Cod, if there's a business without a help wanted sign on it, it's rare indeed. Now because this is a seasonal economy that lives off of tourism and services for us permanent tourists, the retirees, this happens to some extent every spring. But traditionally there have been two sources of seasonal workers for restaurants, bars, beach gear shops, motels, BnBs, etc. One was immigrants. Well, that's out due to Trump and then covid. The other was college-age kids, not all of them college students, who'd cram into rental houses for the summer, work hard and play harder. Well, now such housing is virus-discouraged and places to play are limited, too. Where does one hook up when social contact is strictly limited by the authorities? How does one make money when services have limited customers? Bar and food service workers make their money on tips. If one's place of employment is limited to 25 percent of former seating capacity, one is therefore losing 75 percent of possible income. Collecting UI without exposing oneself to a possibly deadly illness looks better in that light.
    Cape's a special case. But I can certainly see many businesses, brick and mortar retail, food service, nursing homes, throughout the country that have a potential labor force with good reasons to keep looking for something else.

7. The Big Ragu

That is a much different conversation. That is the market setting the price of something. Not fiat trying to force a price on a market.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

It's not unique. Our place at the beach is the same way. Just yesterday, a local landmark restaurant announced it was closing for good because of "lack of workers."
    The story didn't cite any reason for a lack of workers, but most of the places rely on 20-somethings.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

As I mentioned before, manufacturers are really struggling with raw material. Plus the global supply chain is destroyed. Empty shipping containers are piling up here instead of going back overseas to be filled with finished goods. Manufacturers are telling their retail partners not to expect much product for the rest of the calendar year.

So if you’re running a retail operation, why would you hire anybody else when your store might be empty by September?

11. The Big Ragu

The arsonist (president) is telling us why he needs more control of the fire truck.

12. The Big Ragu

BTW, if you oppose this. ... you are pro fires.

Draft saved Draft deleted