1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Associate yourself with Steve Bannon and Boris Epshteyn and I pretty much know where things stand.

garrow, matt_garth and Inky_Wretch like this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

lol

3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

These bastards....

4. Octave

Octave Well-Known Member

Trump's monument should be the tiny widdle desk he ridiculously sat at following his decisive election defeat.

BitterYoungMatador2 and HanSenSE like this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Responses to this tweet from r/Alabama:

"The thing is in my area a lot of these long term fast food workers went and got jobs as CNAs and working in factories when covid hit. I know this bc I work in HR and we targeted hiring them because our work never slowed down. They make more and better hours and benefits. If restaurants and other places are struggling to hire they need to increase pay."

"Alabama: If we can't have slave labor, we'll come as close to it as the law will allow."

"If the GOP cared about businesses or jobs they would unshackle them from onerous medical insurance requirements.

Imagine if employers could offer an extra $500/month in wages. Or didn't have to play games with hours to keep people part time.

The GOP can't."

"But they won’t, because they like the onerous medical insurance programs. Because it ties a person to an otherwise shit job if they know they may lose their insurance if they quit their job. Regardless of if the insurance is shit to begin with or not (which it likely is).

Plus they get money from the insurance companies. That never hurts."

"The GOP doesn’t stand for the free market. The GOP stands for owners of capital. And owners of capital do not want a free market, they want a market that they control.

It’s much easier to control the labor market if the only alternatives to poverty wages are homelessness and starvation."

"You kind of make it sound like the "gop" is responsible for raising wages, when it is actually individual business owners. I understand you're coming at this from the tribal (our side is better than theirs) view but you should get your facts straight. Neither party controls wages. They are a function of a free economy.

Things are really only worth what someone will pay for them."

"Well, that's the thing, though. Some employers ARE paying better now. They're competing for a finite resource in high demand– namely, labor.

The issue is that so many workers are now getting snapped up by those employers that the fast food joints refusing to pay better are screaming that this MUST be because folks are on unemployment instead. It's not. They just don't want to have to compete and pay the going market rate for entry level employees.

So supply and demand is working. The cost of labor is going up with or without government intervention. You can't have an economy full of McDonald's owners and no burger flippers. Our economy requires burger flippers, too. Inevitably, some will fail. That's how capitalism goes.

And you can't just make more workers magically appear, unless you want to start importing them.

So yeah... The problem isn't that we want workers to be paid more than they're worth. The problem is that some of these business owners DON'T and are learning the hard way that supply and demand works both ways."

Last edited: May 10, 2021
  6. Neutral Corner

"The sex crime probe into GOP Rep. Matt Gaetz is in a pivotal period. His indicted associate Joel Greenberg has until May 15 to strike a plea deal with prosecutors. The deal could be set at any moment, and would likely mean a major legal storm for Gaetz. MSNBC’s Chief Legal Correspondent Ari Melber explains why this potential plea deal is significant."

7. Songbird

Anthony Antonio is on the Chris Cuomo show right now and it's comedy of the highest order.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I was thinking a statue in a sand trap myself.

9. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

I'd call her a piece of shit, but I don't want to do the piece of shit a disservice.

wicked and heyabbott like this.
  10. Songbird

"You can't use Jesus as an ATM. You can't use God as a ATM." -- Don Lemon

Great line.

OscarMadison likes this.
  11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That $300 boost more than DOUBLED the maximum weekly unemployment benefit in Alabama. We are nearly a fourth of the way done with the 21st century and this state is still set up to keep sharecroppers on the plantation, figuratively speaking.

Neutral Corner and OscarMadison like this.
  12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Pop quiz, Doctor: How do you spell de rigueur? :rolleyes:

doctorquant likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted