1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

What's that based on? What's the question of law they would be deciding?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A federal judge has ruled that the ban is "probably unconstitutional." That's why the stay was issued. Whether or not it is unconstitutional would eventually wind up at the Supreme Court. One of the architects of the order has stated publicly it was designed to discriminate against Muslims. It is going to be hard even for the hard right Justices to uphold a religious test for anything.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Roberts and Thomas unquestionably have to think he's a grade A fool.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Never underestimate the Supreme Court's power to defer to the executive branch for any reason.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Even an executive branch that has essentially raised the middle finger to the judicial branch?

6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

I hope there never is a Hitler equivalent that rises to prominence because the Left will have cried all the the wolf it can cry long before that.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

We'll find out.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Trump gotta Trump ...

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Liberal icon Dick Cheney seems especially vocal on this one.

TowelWaver, Stoney and doctorquant like this.
  10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Why would you think that "hard right" justices would be interested in upholding a religious test? Again, what's the question of law that they would be deciding? I haven't read the decision. "Probably unconstitutional" is meaningless without the underlying constitutional problem. I assume it's equal protection. IIRC, religion gets strict scrutiny which would be virtually impossible to overcome. The Trump administration would, I assume, argue that it's not a religion test, but a persecution test. How convincing is that? Not sure why that would be a right/left issue, unless you mean that living constitutionalists are more likely to get to the "right" answer in ny particular case.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's a particularly weak way to comment on this. If he supports the EO, just say so.
    What I find interesting is that a day and a half after the order was announced, less than 25 of the 292 Republicans in Congress have made a public comment, and most of those have been from critics ranging from mild to strong. If this was perceived as a big winner for the GOP, wouldn't they be all over the microphones and cameras?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.