1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

If half the air traffic control workers in Atlanta didn't go to work for two days, this stupid shutdown would be over in a matter of hours. Trump is no Reagan.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

That folks don't have even a week's paycheck set aside is certainly an indictment of American household money management.

But also a telling symptom of a workplace lockout.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

If they threaten not to work the few days before the Super Bowl, Robert Kraft would call Trump and the thing would be over in 45 seconds.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Not that big a surprise.

He's never run a business with more than a handful of employees. Most of whom over the last ten years were his children.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

How many of you could go two missed paychecks and feel no financial pain?

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

This whole thing is also an indictment of DC’s horrific cost of living, where you get all of the price of New York City living with the added excitement of never ending urban sprawl damn near necessitating a car.

garrow likes this.
  7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

There was also a Donald Regan in that administration (Treasury Sec., then Chief of Staff).

Raises hand. Dave Ramsey says to have six months of expenses set aside. I have about two years.

Too bad I could never get a federal job. I applied for several.

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Could also be a symptom of stagnant wages for the last X years. That said, it's a common problem.

Only 39% of Americans have enough savings to cover a $1,000 emergency

I'd feel a bit of pain as I saw my savings dwindle. But two missed paydays (monthly for me) wouldn't result in a drastic lifestyle change for us.

But I'm damn frugal and we have zero debt. Our biggest monthly expense is groceries.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

That's nothing. POTUS has been on the job for two-plus years and is an expert in nothing.

garrow likes this.
  11. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

There was an article in the summer talking about how the middle class could do itself a favor and stop buying so much stuff. I agree. I will try to find it.

This isn't it, but it brings up some good points...

“Contemporary U.S. households have more possessions per household than any society in global history,” says Jeanne E. Arnold. That's both shocking and unsurprising all at once.

https://www.getrichslowly.org/cluttered-lives/

an older article...

"If you ask economists to explain this state of affairs, they are likely to finger credit-card debt as a main culprit."

The Secret Shame of Middle-Class Americans Living Paycheck to Paycheck

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Our entire economy is built on consumption. Used to be you bought a new TV when your old one died. Now you get a new one every few years when the technology improves and you consider yours obsolete. It isn't. You can still watch TV on it. The marketing folks have just sold you on the idea it is.

lakefront likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.