1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

The modern GOP has made us reflexively hiss at anyone interested in entitlement reform, which makes me really sad.

Anyone just looking at the numbers and the demographics knows it's inevitable. The question is how do we do it so it requires the least amount of sacrifice (and it will require sacrifice like it or not).

We need to find a way to put the system back on the correct course without the left screeching we're killing grandma and the right trying to use it as a red cape to draw away our attention while they stuff their pockets with tax cuts that just funnel the savings away from the poor and the working poor.

We had, like, 30 years warning to work on this problem (ever since the Baby Boomers got to child bearing age and we realized they weren't reproducing at the same rate as their parents) and we did nothing.

2. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The Boomers attitude towards this has been and will remain “fuck em. I’m getting mine and let my kids deal with it when I’m dead.”

bumpy mcgee and Driftwood like this.
  3. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I didn't get a look at the driver, but based on the car, I don't think it was a wannabe neo Nazi. It was a VW, and to be fair, the circle part of the logo was the VW emblem. I just think it was a stupid ass who is totally ignorant of the fact of what that overall symbol represented. I'd bet if you asked the driver about the Third Reich, he/she would think that was one of the value meal options at the nearest fast food joint.

Maybe the real culprit is the person manufacturing and selling those to go on people's cars. The driver probably got it off ebay ... made in China.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2019
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

People are living longer. Increase the age of full benefits. Life expectancy in '33 was 61. Now it's 78.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

We can easily pay for growing entitlements by fixing the wealth gap

6. Driftwood

Yeah, but then lower them back when the Boomers are gone. Don't move the goal post and punish the rest of us who have been promised something because they are parasites.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It has been shown time and again that very modest tax increases would solve the so-called "entitlement crisis" for decades to come.

heyabbott and RickStain like this.
  8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Why do you hate the job creators?

9. Driftwood

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Trump heading to Mar-a-Lago for the Super Bowl, eh? Good thing that government shutdown is over.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

If he wins on merit then there truly is no hope for this country.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

tHe REal pRobLEm is pOOr olD fOlkS mIGht GeT SocIAl SeCUrItY tOO EarLy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.