1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

QYFW likes this.
  2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I ask this in all sincerity: Why not?

He said he was going to do every one of these things.

That's why his dumbshit supporters came up with the "take him seriously but don't believe anything he says" shtick.

TowelWaver likes this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I thought he knows how to negotiate great deals?

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I won't speak for Inky, but I was surprised by the astonishing ham-handedness of the execution of the EO. Further, I was surprised by the pettiness and amateurishness of statements made by Trump in response to protests (and the firing of the acting AG). I assumed that there would be a veneer of traditional respectability to his doing what he said he'd do. I was way the hell wrong.

5. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I now read all Trump's tweets in the voice of Dana Carvey's Church Lady. He's gone from 1980s action star bravado on the campaign trail to a very special toddler snowflake as president.

TowelWaver and Inky_Wretch like this.
  6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I can't think of a single reason why anyone would have been surprised by those things.

amraeder likes this.
  7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Can we now all agree that we hate the Clintons and the people they surround themselves with?

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

More anti-Semitism from the Trump administration:

Can Jared and Ivanka Outrun Donald Trump’s Scandals?

The president explained that this measure, which many interpreted as a betrayal of America’s identity as a refuge for the oppressed, was merely an enactment of “extreme vetting.” “This is the protection of the nation from foreign terrorist entry into the United States,” Trump read. “That’s big stuff.” He signed the order, with a gold-tipped pen, at 4:42 p.m., 16 minutes before sundown.

Little more than a week into the Trump presidency, the timing of the Friday sunset seems to be growing increasingly important. Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law and West Wing adviser, has been positioned as something of a mollifying presence upon his mercurial boss. “I have a feeling that Jared’s going to do a great job. He’s going to do a great job. You’ll work with him,” Trump recently declared at his pre-inaugural gala to assorted well-wishers and friends from the business community. In a White House split between those seemingly loyal to the Republican Party (Reince Priebus, the former chairman of the R.N.C., now Trump’s chief of staff), and its rabid base (Breitbart chairman turned chief strategist Stephen Bannon), Kushner appeared to be a Valerie Jarrett type—a steady familiar voice who could suss out the signal from the noise.

Kushner, along with his wife, Ivanka Trump, is also an orthodox Jew who observes Shabbat. From sundown on Friday until sundown on Saturday, the couple abstains from technology and work. And early in the incipient Trump administration, that brief period has been unusually fraught. Last week, the president personally called the Park Service on the morning after his inauguration to inquire about the size of the crowds who came to watch him take the oath of office. He subsequently delivered a widely derided speech at C.I.A. headquarters that afternoon, during which he blathered on about the media’s treatment of him and his inaugural crowd size. He then sent his press secretary, Sean Spicer, into the briefing room to falsely claim that it was the largest audience for an inauguration in history. During the tumult, some noticed the conspicuous absence of Kushner’s allegedly calming presence. “He wasn’t rolling calls on Saturday when this happened,” one person close to Kushner told me last week. “To me, that’s not a coincidence.”

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Nobody wants to follow the pea under the shell this morning, YF. Maybe try back this weekend if Donny has his first Saturday without sparking mass demonstrations in the street.

TowelWaver and HanSenSE like this.
  10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Speaking of demonstrations:

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Schumer's great-grandmother was killed in the Holocaust.

Trump's father was arrested at a KKK rally.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Why? In his entire life he has never shown any ability to have humility, empathy or even sanity at this point. This is a guy that started a battle with Rosie O'Donnell for no reason. It's like expecting someone who has been drunk for the past 50 years to just flip A switch and stop drinking.

TowelWaver likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.