1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

We disagree here, Moddy—respectfully, with you. I see nothing remotely smart about not being able to separate fact from fiction and not being able to interpret facts to divine their true meaning.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

New job has gotten someone feisty!

I'm very happy for you, btw.

Hope you can square working for the guy who coined the phrase, "the Axis of Evil." Beyond that, I look forward to reading your new work.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Able or willing?

4. typefitter

No outing.

5. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

How much fake news have we seen posted from those on the other side of the aisle? The phenomenon you describe isn't limited to people of a certain ideological persuasion.

6. typefitter

Not sure, but I'd say unwilling is an infinitely greater sin than unable.

7. typefitter

I don't disagree.

FileNotFound likes this.
  8. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Yes. They're just smart enough to do their jobs and just dumb enough to not know how to think about big picture concepts.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Didn't mean to speak out of turn, but you've outed yourself a hundred times here.

It's ok when you want to measure dicks using National Magazine Awards as a ruler, but not ok when you don't want to defend working for David Frum?

Anyway, good luck to you. You were principled and brave to leave Esquire when they let your editor go.

I'm glad you landed somewhere where your talent can be utilized.

Songbird likes this.
  10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

It's also possible to be a smart troll.

YF has already stated several times that one of the biggest benefits of a Trump presidency would be making liberals "squirm."

Take him for who he is.

Iron_chet likes this.
  11. typefitter

Thanks. It was a joke.

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Lost in all of Steve Bannon's evil is that Peter Navarro is to economics what Bannon is to civil liberties. I'll spare you the 4,000 word post (for the 500 word version), but this morning has been interesting. One thing when he spouts nonsense on the campaign trail. Now he is a trade advisor and currency markets notice.

One thing, though. ... this notion that keeps coming up. ... that Europe, China, Japan, etc. manipulate their currency and they are screwing America is dishonest beyond belief. Three rounds of quantitaitive easing by our central bank, which has more than a $4 TRILLION balance sheet to show for it. ... and their overnight lending rate pinned near zero for a decade. Does reality matter anymore?

EVERYONE is in over their heads in debt, including the U.S., and everyone has been taking turns in long-running currency war, to try to export their problems elsewhere. Navarro is a disingenuous prick.

Also, the U.S. trade imbalance is not because others are screwing the U.S. Our savings rate is miniscule. We benefit from being a reserve currency, too! We export dollars to others who want to hold them (as a reserve currency!). ... and in return they send us cheap goods. Take away the reserve currency status and see how much more debt the U.S. can run up.

These bozos are living as big a fantasy -- and are just plain dishonest -- as the past administration and the one before that were. It's just a different fantasy. The problem is that the rest of the world was on board with the old fantasies -- which allowed everyone to keep kicking the can down the road on what is going to be a horrific debt crisis and massive deleveraging that is inevitable. The rest of the world is NOT on board with their being ridiculously scapegoated by someone using nationalistic rhetoric.

These fuckwits are going to precipitate the mess that has been inevitable all long. What is sad for me, is that this was sown long ago. But people will focus on Trump, rather than the genesis of what is going to play out while he is presiding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.