1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

There was, like, 16 candidates. They picked him. Nobody outside the GOP made him the GOP nominee. They did.

2. Jake from State Farm

Jake from State Farm Well-Known Member

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Truth is, the sailor didn't buy the clap; it forced its way onto his dick after he inserted it in a dozen hookers over the course of a long leave in Saigon.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't think CIA activities (which are ordered by others) have much to do with "believe." Greenwald and Taibbi are too smart to not realize this is really in the context of Trump. The CIA is only as trustworthy as the people who lead it, and authorize their actions.

As for Trump - his rise was a direct reaction from a base that had been disappointed by the follow-through of Republican leadership for a generation.

They impeached Clinton and it cost the party. They went to Iraq and it was a bust. Katrina was a fiasco. They said they would overturn Obamacare and they whiffed. Benghazi flamed out. Throw in the same stagnant wages that are hurting the Dem base and you get a guy known for not playing well with others, who doesn't need to toe the line because he's not one of them. The establishment failed them - why not bring in someone else? If nothing else - it would get the establishment GOP's attention.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

You are right. But I was looking at it slightly differently.

The party establishment itself was horrified by Trump. The nomination was supposed to go to Jeb Bush or Marco Rubio.

Trump is not a Republican. He's a guy who hijacked the Republican party.

Yes, "they" picked him, but "they" were voters who was less idealistic and more ready to vote for the person making the best promises, as they see it. Trump got the nomination, because a lot of those registered Republicans weren't buying what the Republican party was selling anymore. I always found it notable that a percentage of Trump voters were drawn to Bernie Sanders. They were working class people who were disenchanted with their lives after the promises the traditional candidates from the two parties had made to win their votes in the past. And they were ready to embrace something different. To me, it's a commentary on the sophistication of most people that the guy who promises the most free shit and the wanna-be authoritarian who does the "I alone, can deliver a better life to you" were the con artists they were drawn to.

But that is an indictment of what traditional politics -- both parties -- did to make a lot of people feel like their economic fortunes have stagnated.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

BEHEST

[​IMG]

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

It really doesn't matter if they are directly tied - only if they "know things."

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Funny how the CIA's above-level when crooked doughboy Pompeo is running it, but corrupt as hell when anyone else is.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

LOL.

garrow likes this.
  11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Except that he posed with them twice and Don Jr. is in a photo with them at a restaurant. But other than that ...

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

C’mon. What are the odds a president’s personal attorney could be indicted?

Baron Scicluna and garrow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.