1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

If you've read anything about the guy who is suspected to be the whistleblower, you understand why the GOP can't wait to have his identity out there. He's clearly got some glaring political baggage, and they're clearly going to try to make it all about him, as if the whole impeachment case rests on a single partisan's word. The question isn't about whether Trump will be convicted: clearly, he won't. It's about whether or not the Dems will be able to cut through the GOP's messaging and get a significant chunk of the general public to focus on the testimony of the litany of the non-partisans with first-hand information who agree that the office of the presidency cannot be used as Trump used it in the Ukraine/Giuliani/Biden fiasco. The Dems need to find a way to take the focus off the whistleblower and the "quid pro quo" question and use the hearings to explain in simple, concise terms why any sane, objective, patriotic person would agree that what Trump did is a clear abuse of the office of the presidency and simply cannot be accepted as a normal way of operating in a functioning democracy. I'm not optimistic

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Open hearings?
    I figure with so many dumbass republicans they will find a way to trip over their own dick.
    So I call it a worthwhile endeavor

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

"Political Baggage" = registered Democrat. That's the Republican default position. Our opposition is illegitimate. And of course, as I'm sure has been pointed out here before, his complaint has been validated by the testimony of numerous Republican officials, memorably including the acting Chief of Staff on national TV. So he's just a red herring at this point to allow Trump and his defenders to whine and play the victim. They are such crybabies.
    Here are the simple terms I'd use. The President used money appropriated by Congress for blackmail and bribery to get a foreign government to lie for him. He's a crook, has been all his life.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  4. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Here’s a snapshot from this morning of a little celebration at the state Capitol of the first legal day of open carry.

873683B8-E6EC-4568-9EAF-5E54CE2D675A.jpeg

5. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Yes. That's the whole point. Trump is going to follow the same plan that he always has. 1) Identify the most vulnerable person who is even tangentially connected to the opposition's side of the issue, 2) Make it all about that person, even if it isn't 3) Drown out the opposition's protestations by yelling louder.

Dems need to find a way for these hearings to cut through the noise. Pro tip: Complaining that it isn't fair and the GOP is being underhanded is likely to have about as much success as it has in the past.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I am certainly not trying to start a fight, let alone a squabble, but would it not be helpful to say *which* state capitol?

Neutral Corner likes this.
  7. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

Looks like the cocktail-wiener festival is in full swing.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

It’s Oklahoma.

Open carry for anyone 21 or older, 18 if they’re in the military, passed the state legislature last session and was one of the first laws signed by the new governor. It went into effect today.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  9. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

1. WTF is the point of having a firearm with the magazine?

2. WTH kind of ready carry position is that? No way he's able to unsling that thing, insert the magazine, chamber a round and get on target in time to be a Good Guy with a Gun.

12. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

American Shitheads (TM)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.