1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I don't know but should any of the people on the list be able to vote for someone as such who donated $100,000 to their campaign?

Did she donate to the 2 Republicans who voted against her nomination?

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Good questions. My gut is that they should be able to vote and you should be able to scream this from the rooftops and have them answer to their constituents. What's the alternative? No one who donated can be nominated? Anyone who received has to recuse themselves? Put a dollar limit on it? I think there are advantages to all of them, but that the first is least bad.

3. Songbird

Yes.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

People like Betsy DeVos like to spread their free speech around. All you can do is make the Pat Toomeys of the world own their decisions.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Do any of the GOP Senators have young kids in public schools?

6. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I know I'm a couple of days late (keeping up with this thread is near impossible when you avoid it on the weekends), but ...

Referencing Rocky V is the most offensive thing I've seen on this thread.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Probably not that they're aware of.

TowelWaver and dixiehack like this.
  9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You mean those Liberal Indoctrination Centers?

Please.

10. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Looks like we're about to find out if the federal Department of Education is as useless as the GOP has claimed it is over the last 20 years.

Even though I've been well aware of the DeVos family's bullshit for decades, I'm not subscribing to the outrage today.

First of all, let's not act like this is any sort of a surprise. Not only would Senator No. 51 face the wrath of leadership, but Trump would have a tantrum to end all tantrums and sic his caravan of fools and racists on them. If you were actually expecting the Senate GOP to abandon their chicken-shittery, you haven't been watching government for the last eight years.

I read earlier today that federal funds amount to roughly 10 percent of most school budgets. The Scott Walkers and John Englers of the world have done far more to damage public education in their states than DeVos will be capable of for as long as she's in office before Trump gets himself impeached or just quits.

X-Hack and I Should Coco like this.
  11. Songbird

This is a hyper-local example of how to enact change ... my small town has a 7-person governance board and most years a handful of them are on the board of high-powered nonprofits -- incestuous favoritism at its best. One of these nonprofits receives upward of $100,000 a year in taxpayer funds to operate with a very specific mandate but rarely fulfills its mandate, and because it affects me I get pissed off and kick dust. I've written several stories about it the last 18 months -- called out those in power who needed to be exposed for their conflicts -- and the finger-pointing rankled the power players so much that they finally changed the governance board's conflict of interest policy so that if you're one of the board members while also serving on the executive board of a nonprofit that receives town funds, you have to recuse during budget requests. Huge massive victory.

I doubt that'll happen in D.C.

(And I know, cool story, bro.)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
    bigpern23 likes this.
  12. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Championships are won in the offseason.

Yes, during the Gerrymandering period.

bigpern23 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.