1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Happy? Probably not. There are only a couple of Trump's picks that I really respect and and approve of - mostly Mad Dog and Haley. OTOH, I'm not sure that it would be possible for Trump to have come up with a more abysmal Nom for EdSec than DeVos. She is unqualified, period, dot.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Depends on the district. There's just one private high school here (a second is being planned) and two public high schools in the city. The private high school has 200 or so students - compared to 1,700 at each of the public ones.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

By mucking it up I meant some combination of: A) not paying attention to it; B) misunderstanding it; and C) not properly incorporating what it said into what he was trying to say. And, again, that's stipulating there's actually a nuanced case.

I'd also note that the ability to speak clearly about stuff like this (while still giving yourself some wiggle room) takes years of practice. There's a reason they call them "professional" politicians.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

OK, and in those districts, vouchers would have a minimal effect.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Of course it is a service and a benefit -- one that is publicly funded.

We may have always offered that service / benefit to everyone under the rationale you are suggesting. But that doesn't change the nature of what it actually is.

doctorquant likes this.
  6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I'm not going to get into the education argument, but my overall point was that "general welfare" is kind of a big part of the reason for taxation in the first place. It was never meant to be a la carte. Many Americans have become much too selfish to understand that, though.

Ace, franticscribe and Riptide like this.
  7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Important Presidential message here ...

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

UPChip and Donny in his element like this.
  9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

This might have a bit more substance if you weren't the poster child for selective ignorance yourself. Such as when Trump clearly lies about something, it's pointed out to you and you act like you're covering your ears going "la-la-la-la."

10. Guy_Incognito

I don't know that anyone is arguing this point, but I'm not. It's the difference between a soup kitchen and food stamps. There are real advantages to the latter.

11. Guy_Incognito

Do you really think it's about gender?

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Public education is part of a long-term strategy to make the citizenry as a whole smarter and therefore more competitive and more productive, which benefits everyone -- married, single, old, young, gay, straight, with or without kids.

People learn important skills and "benefit" from serving in the Army, too, but you won't hear me suggesting I should get a tax rebate because I wasn't able to take advantage of the fantastic government opportunity to which others availed themselves.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.