1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Agreed on your first point. I used to work with television people who were especially ignorant abut geography. One, in particular, also had difficulty pronouncing Shiite. However, she was not the person that answered English Channel. Likely would have Iran in the northern hemisphere.

3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Anyone wanna bet Rasmussen or whoever found weak support for a Mideast war? #Presidementia

4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    8 hours later you found a better source. Congrats, detective.:rolleyes:

Mostly I was referring to the fact that every mention I saw on Twitter last night cited “Strategic News” or whatever, which may be a real thing but seems a lot like one of the fake “Breaking News” twitter accounts that were running rampant last night with fake reports of US planes launching to bomb Iran.

Pardon me for waiting to see it from AP or NYT or CNN before taking it too seriously on a night full of bonkers false reporting from sinister actors.

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

When Saudi Arabia literally butchers an American permanent resident, the response is “Shit happens” and “Oil”

When an American contractor is killed, it is WWIII

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Good column highlighting the Trump administration's lack of a cohesive strategy and how it plays into his worst management traits.

Donald Trump has no Iran strategy after Suleimani killing in Iraq

"Killing Soleimani also highlights yet another Trump tendency — taking actions that are untethered from any broader strategic goal. One example is recognizing Jerusalem as Israel’s capital, with no apparent correlation to promoting serious negotiations or selling the administration’s own Middle East peace plan.

And this sort of haphazard approach driven by Trump’s moods, ego or domestic politics doubly pertains to the way his Iran policy has played out. His "maximum pressure" campaign of sanctions against Iran has been effective in squeezing Iran’s economy. But it has never been clear what the goal is: To fracture the regime, weaken it and lay the basis for regime change? Or to pressure Iran into returning to the negotiating table to reach a new deal more favorable to Washington?

When you don’t know where you’re going, the old saw opines, then any road will get you there. And right now it looks as if the administration really has no idea where it’s going or what it wants to achieve with Iran."

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The tweet I posted last night contained a link to the USGS site.

9. Neutral Corner

I throw up a lot of tweets with the annotation "Good thread, worth a read" or something similar. I'm going to post Molly McKew's full tweet chain here. It's well reasoned and worth a look.

I particularly liked "- becomes obvious, to our adversaries also, there is no one home in key natsec jobs, Trump appointees not up to task

- More POTUS secret meetings with foreign creeps. Everyone knows by now Kushner isn't solving sh*t"

I thought that summed up a number of things very succinctly, as indeed the whole chain does.

Molly McKew on Twitter

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

"Like riding a psychotic horse toward a burning stable."

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

BitterYoungMatador2 and Liut like this.
  12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Staffing as perfect as that Ukraine phone call.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.