1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

dixiehack and TowelWaver like this.
  2. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

While a president has broad executive authority in this area, it cannot be exercised in an unconstitutional manner. Of course, the 9th circuit court's decision is not a decision on the merits of the constitutonal challenge, only whether the injunction should remain in place, although part of that determination does include a finding on the likelihood of the government's success on the merits.

http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/datastore/opinions/2017/02/09/17-35105.pdf

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And by "every single court" you mean two or three hand-picked courts that almost always lean liberal. There's a reason the lawsuit was filed on the west coast instead of Texas.
    Also, the circuit court rulings were always obvious formalities to get this thing to the Supreme Court. Even if it had been filed in Texas, it'd just be appealed the other way.

Agreed with DQ, though, that the implementation was dunderheaded.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

From @cranberry's favorite former (assistant) US Attorney a week or so ago ...
    Trump’s Order on Entry into the U.S.: Implementation Problems

5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

it was the inferiority complex of undereducated white middle America, not qualified for well paying jobs that require initiative innovation and intellect. Not inferior. Just the perception of inferiority.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Batman, your last rant makes me worry for you. Especially the way the word "white" was in it so often. Kind of a tell.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

These guys can't see two feet in front of their own noses. It wasn't 15 years ago I was doing stories on farmers who were scared that an uptick in deportations was costing them money because there was no one who could pick the crops. They said machines just aren't efficient enough to do the job that people could do and lots of their product would never make the stores. Flash forward and they want Trump because they are tired of being told there's a drought and water has to be divvied up across the state to serve metro areas, farmers and protected wetlands. Of course none of them paid attention to the words Trump spoke about getting rid of illegals and curtailing immigration. The same thing they were gnashing teeth and rendering garments over under Bush. And of course the Majority Whip—who serves those CA farmers—is too busy kissing up to Trump and trying to make Dems look bad to actually give a shit. And that's sad because I've met McCarthy, I've interviewed McCarthy and I used to like McCarthy even voted for McCarthy. Dude is a shill who cares more about recruiting the Tea Party than to serve his district.

EDIT: I'm getting old. Ten years wasn't quite accurate for the point I was making, but it feels like it was just a few years ago.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    HanSenSE likes this.
  9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Get. The. Fuck. Over. Yourself.

SpeedTchr and Batman like this.
  10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I think that's too simplistic. Yes, some of backlash to Obama from some people was racism. It was. But that wasn't all of it.

Seth Meyers, of all folks, made a decent little point last night - when Nancy Pelosi was trying to defend the achievements of the Obama era, she brought up the auto bailout - from 2009. The health care plan was a disaster rollout that the GOP turned into a nightmare for many Americans. And, for whatever reason, Obama just wasn't effective in helping other democrats win elections. Maybe he played it too cool. Maybe he didn't connect with candidates. Maybe he enjoyed the adulation he got from comedy show hosts and fawning journalists too much. I dunno. He was great at Newtown and Charleston and dismissive other times.

Batman likes this.
  11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

How about the Trump administration articulates what 'extreme vetting' will be be compared to the existing process?

And by articulate, I mean explain it in a rational and calm manner with facts. Rather than the irrational rantings of a lunatic

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He was loathed by Republicans and disliked by others because of, well, I'm not sure, the reason will come to me. He left office with an almost 60 percent approval rating. He won re-election when the numbers said he shouldn't. He was a successful leader of a weak party. That Democratic voters didn't show up for midterms, and especially that African-American voters didn't show up for Clinton, is on them, not him.

heyabbott likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.