1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The idea that ANY candidate is "most electable" or "only electable" is really a way of saying, "this candidate's views are closest to my own." Sanders people will assure you he's the most electable, and they have polling data (way too early data, but so's everybody else's) to back it up. In my voting experience, the Democrats have more than once gone with a candidate on the grounds of "electability." Neither Mike Dukakis nor John Kerry nor Hillary Clinton got elected.

2. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Dukakis was nominated because Gary Hart, the truly more electable of the two, got into some monkey business. Kerry was nominated because Howard Dean tanked in Iowa and compounded it with his scream. The Dems could've run Krusty the Klown against Trump and won, but only Hillary couldn't win.

So you're citing at least two instances (probably three) where the Dems didn't bring the A team. Electability didn't have anything to do with it either time.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

You're right. How quickly we've gone from "anybody can grow up to be president" to "4 or 5 people can be president."

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I think Sideshow Bob would have been a better candidate.

6. Neutral Corner

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

It’s truly funny.

Yet, I’ll vote for Bloomberg over Trump. At the very least Bloomberg represents a party now serious about winning the election.

8. Neutral Corner

The main reason that the Saturday Night Massacre brought Nixon down was that when he ordered his Attorney General, Elliott Richardson, to fire Special Prosecutor Archibald Cox, Richardson refused and resigned instead. Next in line at DoJ was Dep. Atty. Gen. Ruckleshaus, who also refused and resigned. Men of principle did ethical things, and while Nixon found Bork who would obey him, this was the moment that the tide turned.

Not that there seems to be an ounce of ethics or principle left in current Republican leadership.

garrow likes this.
  9. matt_garth

matt_garth Well-Known Member

In a Watergate documentary, Richardson recalled his meeting with Nixon:

"And the president said, 'Elliot, I'm sorry you choose to put your purely personal commitments ahead of the public interest.' And I could feel the blood rushing to my head. And I could've made a very angry response, but what I did say, in as level a voice as I could muster, I said, 'Mr. President, it would appear that you and I have a different perception of the public interest.'"

When Richardson appeared at the Justice Department to say farewell, he received a prolonged standing ovation.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  10. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

1) When lawyers resign from a case, it's often because they disagree with the client's actions. Or they know the client is doing something illegal. In this case the client is the government. Social studies 101.
    2) Check your sexism, you dickless wonder. (See! Sexism is easy, silly and rarely does it get the point across. Unless you really mean to suggest that people with pussies and labia are weak.)

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

There are people who refuse to just follow orders. In the old days, they were the second to hang by piano wire. I’m sure Bannon and Miller and Conway are stripping the pianos in the East Room as we speak.

12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

A unique addition to the interviewing-Trumpists-in-diners school of journalism.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.