1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Unless you have the gold in your closet or under your mattress, you don’t own gold.

If the shit really hit the fan and systems broke down and things stopped working, do you think you’re gonna get the gold you own? Gonna just walk up to Fort Knox or wherever it is and say, hey, I own that stack of gold bars over there, give me my share. Hope your army is bigger than theirs.

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Harder question. ... Yes, some of the short-term paper in the typical money market is now way riskier thanks to the Fed than that kind of "safe" fund ever should hold. That is due to there being no risk-free yield when debt markets are being price administered to destroy all risk calibration.

But. ... When the Fed is running through an alphabet soup of debt monetization programs that total into the trillions of dollars to try to stop a debt bomb from imploding. ... you'd have to guess that the LAST thing in the world they would ever allow is for a money market fund to break the buck again. They are buying up junk bonds -- something nobody in their right mind could have ever guessed we'd see. So as long as they still have any power, you know they will prop up the NAV of every single money market fund to $1, because if you see those funds start to fail, it's done. The Fed is running a confidence game. That would be the ulimate confidence breaker.

The bigger problem to me is that when you get your negative real interest, your principle in that money market fund in has lost value in real terms. Then, because it is dollar based, the value of your savings is being destroyed by them -- you are a sheep being robbed by them to enable someone else to go into debt -- and now we are at the point where it's not just that, you are being robbed to enable something that is bankrupt without the Fed, to borrow more just to not default on the debt it is has already taken on off of your back.

I'm not interested in that.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Two of our closest friends have died this week. No grieving with our friends and their families. Funerals on hold for now.

People are dying in the hospital without their loved ones around them, because we're in the middle of the pandemic. Those friends and families who are not allowed in may very possibly be infected, but they will be moving about within the hospital freely, touching things, coughing, while quite possibly shedding virus. They will not be behind barriers and being treated as infectious, so they will put everyone inside at risk.

It sucks, but it is an absolutely necessary and sensible precaution.

She was not kept out of the ambulance over Covid fears. She was kept out of the ambulance due to Covid reality.

4. The Big Ragu

Fort Knox? My name isn't Uncle Sam. Fort Knox is a military installation that holds the supposed gold reserves of the United States. (I said supposed, because none of us can get in there to try to audit it, even if we wanted to).

The gold I own, is privately owned. ... by me. And yes, I have it in places I can physically get. No army necessary. Although my reason for owning gold has nothing to do with whatever "system breakdown" you are talking about. I am counting on it to retain its value better than the dollar, which is being devalued to an insane degree, right in the open. To me, owning any hard asset you can think of that has actual intrinsic value to others, makes way more sense than sitting on dollars. The dollars are being drained of their value. The hard asset is way more likely to retain its value.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

"The virus was good in the beginning, but went too far"

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Shit like this is why the Bernie Bros have the rep that they do. Retweet the Daily Caller and attack Biden and expect calm debate? Sure sure.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

You're not just learning that now, I reckon.

Men: Stupid from Day 1.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I suspect that’s why he hasn’t fired Fauci, because he knows no experts = no live broadcast.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That was my thinking. Not to hold it to trade gold coins for cans of soup in the future, but as a major hedge against future dollars only being worth pennies compared to current ones.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Big Frat Boi Grifting Android putting the "creep" in creeping authoritarianism.

11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

12. The Big Ragu

Yeah. If you price gold relative to the cost of my health insurance or relative to how much I could resell my home for in dollars. ... the dollar has lost at least half of its value since I started buying gold. Which makes sense speaking very broadly, because it takes way more than twice as many dollars to buy an ounce of gold today as it did when I started buying.

Even if you use the CPI, whose measurement methodology is continually changed for policized reasons (which makes it ridiculous), the dollar has lost more than 20 percent of its value during that time.

It makes absolutely no sense to me to willingly save in dollars, just so that an appointed price czar can come up with schemes that you can plainly see (it is out in the open) that robs you to benefit zombie companies and way overindebted consumers and a government going trillions of dollars into debt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.