1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is untrue. They mean more after Labor Day, but they always have meaning. The Bloomberg columnist and poli sci professor Jonathan Bernstein grouped some presidential approval poll averages of incumbent Presidents up for re-election from the past at this time (April of election year) on Twitter today. Group 1. Reagan, Clinton and Nixon all positive by double digits. Group 2. Bush 43 and Obama, each positive by 2 or so. Group 3. Bush 41, Trump and Carter, all negative by at least six. Trump's negative by nine. Now that's the last seven who were all quite predictive of the Election seven months later. Why is Trump gonna be different? Maybe he will be, but that's the side of the proposition that needs to make an argument to me.
    PS: Reuters has three new polls with Biden up three in Wisconsin, six in Pa. and eight in Michigan. Look at it from the other end of the telescope. If Trump had those numbers today, would anyone say, "oh, it's too early"? No, he'd be called a prohibitive favorite and rightly so.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Labor Day 2021, if recent history is any gauge.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

National polls don't mean squat. It's all about 7-10 state polls.

I'll need to go back about, oh, four months and see where the polls were. Did anyone here or anywhere else have it as Biden as the presumptive nominee? This is unprecedented territory we're in. A president unlike any other. In the midst of a pandemic. With things changing not just monthly but daily. Hell, hourly.

What we see today we will not see in a month, much less in more than six months.

Is Biden the favorite right now? Of course he is. But no one is voting -- in person or by mail -- right now.

4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Watched it last night and completely agree.

He’s never been a good speaker. But he’s an adult. And a statesman. Frankly, a few years of boring calm is what most of us need.

I’ve tried to block or mute all off the trumpers and bots on my social media. But stuff gets through. They’ll be all-in on attacking Biden’s “mental decline.” Edited clips. Freeze frames.

It’s just complete bullshit. Biden is fine and will be fine. Just end this chaos.

garrow, Slacker, Iron_chet and 2 others like this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Whatever flaws Biden has, I can live with them far, far better than I can Trump's.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

So what did Redfield actually say?

7. Shelbyville Manhattan

Shelbyville Manhattan Well-Known Member

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Biden was the front-runner for most of the last year - nationally. In the early primaries - microdata at its finest - he struggled. Once the question was put to a broader swath of the electorate, he won going away. When Trump was leading the 2016 primaries, the experts said it was all name recognition and there was no chance he would win, let alone become President. His presidency has been notable for the hard floor and hard ceilings of his approval ratings - I just don't see the remaining months (or his behavior) offering much hope of a sudden rebound. Even if the economy comes back to where it was, people won't be impressed. There needs to be a net positive out of this pandemic for him, and I just don't see it. He was 50/50 before the pandemic.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

OscarMadison and lakefront like this.
  10. 2muchcoffeeman

I’m just gonna leave this here.

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Personally I think the key to Biden winning is to go into hiding. He is gaffe prone. But Trump is ging to continue doing press conferences. Contined exposire to those seems to be slowly grinding down Trump's populrity.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.