1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I heard the best one yet this morning. It's a two-parter:

1. Hook them with something that is possible (even if no real evidence has suggested it's probable).
    "COVID19 was created in a lab in China and got out." (Mmmmm, OK.)

2. Now throw in the Trumpanzee crazy.
    "Fauci traveled to China, developed it, and he was the one that let it out." (WTF, facepalm.)

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sure.

But in the current circumstance, they can fucking wait. Their troubles are of their own making. And 80 years of cost overruns should provide them some cushion.

Let's do a nationwide rent holiday first. If we have a couple bucks left over, maybe.

Then again, a bankruptcy reorganization might be just the invigorating tonic Boeing needs.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

5. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It is stupid more than sad. People shouldn't need an exciting candidate to get them to show up any time, especially this year. Getting President Trump out of the White House as soon as possible should be motivation enough to vote.

Tweener and Neutral Corner like this.
  7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Boeing reported this morning. It lost $640 billion for the quarter. It is going to lay off 10 percent of its workforce. And it burned through a staggering $4.3 billion in cash over the last three months. (that isn't a typo!).

The company is functionally bankrupt. Take away the bailout. ... And it had borrowed $25 billion alone in 2019, half of which was used to pay back existing debt and extend the term, and about 30 percent to buy back stock and pay out dividends. Between 2013 and 2019, it did $43.5 billion in stock buybacks.

Boeing has been a shitty business, and largely exists due to a game of lobbyists felating members of Congress. But even the Max isn't the story of Boeing. Shit, if it had just sat on that $43+ billion in mispriced debt that was a gift, rather than overpaying for its own stock to artificially juice the price, it would be safely trying to weather things right now with a lot of runway.

I can't describe how much it pisses me off that our government picks winners and losers in what I see as a corrupt and inequitable way. But it particularly pisses me off, when this kind of entity is the beneficiary.

And in the wake of it, stock buybacks are demonized, which is exactly the wrong response.

If you are a company, and you have cash -- borrowed money or earned money -- you should be able to do whatever you think makes best sense for your shareholders. And if you go bankrupt, because you made poor choices, your losses shouldn't be socialized.

What we are doing is the definition of moral hazard. Nobody has incentive to guard against risky behavior when they know that if they have the right friends they will be protected from the consequences.

8. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

"Obama Netflix?"

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

You mean, this morning?

10. TigerVols

Are you buying the 40% predictions? Seems high to me, given that it's looking like the last 6 weeks of Q2 will be much better than the last 2 weeks of Q1.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

What on earth makes you say that?

12. TigerVols

What part?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.