1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

tastes so good make a grown man cry

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Enjoy the crunchy taste of super powerful extra rat shit

Fred siegle and HanSenSE like this.
  3. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I'd say it's very 2020 for taxpayer-funded entities such as police to sue over 1A requests, but it's been going on for years.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

did that really warrant a response?

AHAHAHAHAHA heh

5. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Forgot to post this a couple of weeks ago. Our newspaper style was to use Dr. only if it was medical. So, Dr. Frank Jobe. But not Dr. Jerry Buss. It was just Jerry Buss for us. The football coach at our local high school had a doctorate. Seemed silly to day, "We played really well tonight," said Dr. Coach Joe Blow.

Just a one-shot Google search:
    • Tracee Ellis Ross. Black-ish star Tracee Ellis Ross is officially Dr. ...
    • Kanye West. One of the most famous college dropouts now has a college degree. ...
    • Oprah Winfrey. ...
    • Aretha Franklin. ...
    • Muhammad Ali. ...
    • George Foreman.
    • Mike Tyson. ...
    • Diddy.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Don't forget Dr. Bill Cosby

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Oh, you mean Dr.7643397

cosby.jpeg

HanSenSE and DanielSimpsonDay like this.
  8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I used to be an education reporter and I often found it pretentious when administrators insisted on the Dr. title when the only reason they got the degree was to increase their salary. A lot of teacher buy masters degrees for the same reason. I respect the work that went into it, but don't use the title outside of your job.

One of the teachers at our elementary school got his doctorate and insisted on being called Dr. Shipow. It confused the heck out of us 6 to 12 years olds who only knew doctors as MDs.

That said, I have no issue with Dr. Jill.

9. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

From a news style standpoint, I say use Dr. when it adds context, and it leave it out when it doesn't.
    If you are interviewing my wife for a story related to her being a dean at her university, you need to identify her as Dr. on first reference. If you are interviewing her about being a D1 women's college basketball referee, then don't use it because it doesn't matter.
    If you are interviewing a physician for a medical story, identify them as Dr. on first reference. If you interviewing them because the won a local 5K or built a really cool tree house or whatever, they aren't any more special than an academic doctor, dentist, eye doctor, or anyone else. In most cases, if there is a story about a church with a preacher who has a doctorate in divinity, they are called Dr. Whomever.

bigpern23 likes this.
  10. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

I guess it's all whatever world you are used to. Being in education, people being referred to as Dr. is no different than Mr. or Mrs. I work with people who have doctorates in education, and if I tell a student to go see one of them, it's Dr. Whomever. It's no different than one of them telling a student to go see Coach Driftwood.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I have a family member who has a PhD in education and worked for years as a college professor. She would use the honorific when it involved her academia world, but insisted on never being referred as "Doctor..." outside of school. I always thought that made a lot of sense.

But I also think Dr. Jill Biden can go by Dr. Jill Biden if that's what she prefers. It's someone's own call. #Freedom.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.