1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

(I understand your point, but I just had to make the joke.)

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yeah, in my bartending days we'd tip out the bar backs and kitchen staff too. But we didn't cover their wages so the owner could save money.

3. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

The tip outs wouldn’t come close to covering the back of the house staff. If I were a line cook or a busboy and someone tried to pull that, I’d be pissed.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

All of these things Jared is reported to have been doing are not legal. He better hope he has a better lawyer than Uncle Rudy or the Kraken fringe lunatic.

5. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

The article was poorly written. Or badly researched. Or both. It’s an administrative rule, which, while may be considered to have the force and effect in of law, is not a law and not legislation. Administrative/executive branch = rule adopted through an administrative rule making process; legislative branch = legislation/law which is enacted by a vote by legislators. It is a distinction with a difference. This is being done by the Trump administration, not Congress.

Anyway, the rule doesn’t allow an owner to take the tips and use them to straight out pay wages otherwise due dishwashers. It does allow an owner to take tips and split among more back house employees. The argument is that since these people would now be getting tips that increase what they make, owners wouldn’t increase pay out of their revenues, thereby saving the owners money at the expense of those already in the tip pool.

6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

"Blow the fuckers up," is one of the funniest and most unrepeatable movie lines ever.

OscarMadison likes this.
  7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Never having worked in restaurants, I've often wondered how does that tip-out practice work? How formal a process is it? Does the rockstar waitress tip out more to the receptionist and the dishwasher than the crappy waiter does? Also, how consistent are tips? Does income by tips swing wildly from one week to the next?

8. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

The servers screw everyone else. The busboys are last for everything. Ask me how I know.

Jssst21 and Kato like this.
  9. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

Back when I was the coat check girl at a gay bar in Minneapolis (in the just before we knew what AIDS was party days), the manager told me to split my tips with the owner - not other employees. I never did. I made great tips because I worked my ass off being efficient and charming.

10. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

How do you know?

11. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Decades ago, it was $5 to the hosts and $5 to each runner/bus boy.

Mind you, host and runners make minimum wage.

Let's say each of 10 servers makes $100 a night and $75 of that is on credit cards and taxable. There are two hosts and two runners/bus boys, so the servers are out $15, which drops them to $85 and the others are up $25/$50 each.

Depends on the place. If you are working at Cracker Barrel and people can't do math, eat cheap food and are cheap, You might walk out with between $50 and $100. If you only get five tables, then you might only get $25.

If you work at a better place where dinner checks are well over $100 for 3-4 people, and you do that 10 times, you have a $200 or $300 night.

What sucks is when people ring up a $200 bill but will never tip a waitress more than $3-5. That happens way more than you think. Or when people "camp out" for hours, which means that table in your section does not get refilled, and they tip like they have only been there for 45 minutes rather than two hours.

The fact that we as customers have to tip is a huge scam.

In the restaurant market reset we are about to have, I would love to see people open "no tipping" establishments where servers are paid $15 an hour and I didn't have to worry about tipping. Makes my meals more expensive? Fine. Stop having me pay your staff.

12. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

There's a really great article on Vox that goes a very long way to explain Trump and his support or at least it did to me.

It is called a parasocial relationship and it is where a person forms a close relationship with a person/character they see on television.

So everything that person/character does on television becomes "real" to them and it is how Trump, a resounding business failure in real life, became a shrewd businessman because that's the way he was portrayed on The Apprentice.

It also made me wonder about the support of Trump's base and how many of them were avid Apprentice watchers. I never saw a second and actively avoided it, much like I do every other bit of scripted "reality" TV but looking at the numbers, over 20 million watched the first season, by far the best season, but it was pretty steady in the 10 million range most seasons.

Anyway, read the piece.

A requiem for the Twitter presidency

OscarMadison likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.