1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

derp

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

"There is no strife, no prejudice, no national conflict in outer space as yet. Its hazards are hostile to us all. Its conquest deserves the best of all mankind, and its opportunity for peaceful cooperation many never come again. But why, some say, the moon? Why choose this as our goal? And they may well ask why climb the highest mountain? Why, 35 years ago, fly the Atlantic? Why does Rice play Texas?
    We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too.
    It is for these reasons that I regard the decision last year to shift our efforts in space from low to high gear as among the most important decisions that will be made during my incumbency in the office of the Presidency."

--John F. Kennedy, Rice University, September 1962

"When I was young there was a man named William Levitt. You have some here. You have some in different states. Anybody ever hear of Levittown?
    And he was a very successful man, became unbelievable — he was a home builder, became an unbelievable success, and got more and more successful. And he’d build homes, and at night he’d go to these major sites with teams of people, and he’d scour the sites for nails, and sawdust and small pieces of wood, and they cleaned the site, so when the workers came in the next morning, the sites would be spotless and clean, and he did it properly. And he did this for 20 years, and then he was offered a lot of money for his company, and he sold his company, for a tremendous amount of money, at the time especially. This is a long time ago. Sold his company for a tremendous amount of money.
    And he went out and bought a big yacht, and he had a very interesting life. I won’t go any more than that, because you’re Boy Scouts so I’m not going to tell you what he did.
    Should I tell you? Should I tell you?
    You’re Boy Scouts, but you know life. You know life.
    So look at you. Who would think this is the Boy Scouts, right? So he had a very, very interesting life, and the company that bought his company was a big conglomerate, and they didn’t know anything about building homes, and they didn’t know anything about picking up the nails and the sawdust and selling it, and the scraps of wood. This was a big conglomerate based in New York City.
    And after about a 10-year period, there were losing a lot with it. It didn’t mean anything to them. And they couldn’t sell it. So they called William Levitt up, and they said, would you like to buy back your company, and he said, yes, I would. He so badly wanted it. He got bored with this life of yachts, and sailing, and all of the things he did in the south of France and other places. You won’t get bored, right? You know, truthfully, you’re workers. You’ll get bored too, believe me. Of course having a few good years like that isn’t so bad.
    But what happened is he bought back his company, and he bought back a lot of empty land, and he worked hard at getting zoning, and he worked hard on starting to develop, and in the end he failed, and he failed badly, lost all of his money. He went personally bankrupt, and he was now much older. And I saw him at a cocktail party. And it was very sad because the hottest people in New York were at this party. It was the party of Steve Ross — Steve Ross, who was one of the great people. He came up and discovered, really founded Time Warner, and he was a great guy. He had a lot of successful people at the party.
    And I was doing well, so I got invited to the party. I was very young. And I go in, but I’m in the real estate business, and I see a hundred people, some of whom I recognize, and they’re big in the entertainment business.
    And I see sitting in the corner was a little old man who was all by himself. Nobody was talking to him. I immediately recognized that that man was the once great William Levitt, of Levittown, and I immediately went over. I wanted to talk to him more than the Hollywood, show business, communications people.
    So I went over and talked to him, and I said, “Mr. Levitt, I’m Donald Trump.” He said, “I know.” I said, “Mr. Levitt, how are you doing?” He goes, “Not well, not well at all.” And I knew that. But he said, “Not well at all.” And he explained what was happening and how bad it’s been and how hard it’s been. And I said, “What exactly happened? Why did this happen to you? You’re one of the greats ever in our industry. Why did this happen to you?”
    And he said, “Donald, I lost my momentum. I lost my momentum.” A word you never hear when you’re talking about success when some of these guys that never made 10 cents, they’re on television giving you things about how you’re going to be successful, and the only thing they ever did was a book and a tape.

--Donald J. Trump, Boy Scout Jamboree speech, Glen Jean, West Virginia, July 2017

matt_garth likes this.
  3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I, too, hate to see it. But why did this guy, with 2 young kids, insist on not requiring masks at his campaign events? Is it really more important to be loved by Trump than to be alive for your own family?

lakefront and OscarMadison like this.
  4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Last edited: Dec 30, 2020
  5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

As as well as Pelosi punched Mitch into the corner ...

... Mitch bobbed and weaved and punched back and is back in the middle of the ring.

6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Who do you trust to answer that 2 am call? A dude tweeting batshit conspiracy theories instead of sleeping?

lakefront likes this.
  8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

I can’t stand him but Moscow Mitch is a skilled politician.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

check it out

50c47f603f465c28cc385853c6a36169c1-29-steve-brule-check-it-out.2x.h473.w710.jpg

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

What has he done now?

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Made sure the $2K check is kaput by attaching it to Trump's other 2 derp demands, ensuring failure.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

check it out

check it out

a796d34ffaaed32356ed3f5e606d802a.500x500x1.jpg

check it out

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.