1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I didn't like the Conan reference, brandishing the sword or the surging martial music, but the message was on point.

I also didn't like the callout to "Profiles In Courage," because one of the key chapters is a deification of Ross, the senator whose vote saved Andrew Johnson from impeachment conviction in 1868, and it's becoming more and more clear that Johnson absolutely should have been removed (I got chewed out in 7th grade history class in 1970 for saying so).

No mealy mouth bothsiderism by Schwarzenegger trying to save his GOP cred (whatever that is these days).

As a big media celebrity who walked into one of the dozen or so most powerful jobs in the nation, he's the kind of figure we need to never have any more of again.

But he said the right things here.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    lakefront likes this.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I agree with most of what you said, and I wouldn’t doubt that Mitch is not happy right now, but if it’s just a scheduling thing, I’m not going to rip on him for that. There’s plenty of other material.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Just as bad, think of him going to state funerals, having the right to be buried at Arlington, etc. All the courtesies given to living ex-Presidents.

garrow and OscarMadison like this.
  4. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

We've all had a bit too much to think lately. Write on.

5. Mngwa

Mngwa Well-Known Member

How do you handle Trump post presidency? If he is impeached so he no longer gets daily briefings and some of the other perks, he still knows things. He is still in financial difficulty by all accounts. He will sell American secrets. I have no doubt of that.

6. HanSenSE

Womp womp.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Well, tomorrow he won’t have to worry about not being followed back on Parler. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The briefings are cut off by executive order. Ditto with "ceremonial functions" such as state funerals, etc etc.

(A joint statement by all four living ex-presidents would help in this regard too. Carter in particular should announce that Fatfuck is utterly banned from his own funeral, whenever it should take place.)

The things it will take impeachment or a separate act of Congress to stop will be the financial perks -- pension, office budget, travel allowance and SS protection.

lakefront and Mngwa like this.
  9. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

on the web forever

10. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

nice way to show how much support you have earned in which particular part of the population

11. HanSenSE

No worries. This is a safe haven for a lot of us. Write on!

12. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

When will Vince McMahon pull Trump’s name off the walls of the WWE Hall of Fame?

Tighthead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.