1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Family of Milwaukee man who died of dehydration while in jail sues, alleging torture

Maybe if Sheriff Clarke didn't spend so much time on Fox News, he would have made sure this inmate had access to water.

Then he tries to defend what happened to the guy by saying that he broke the law and that was the chance he took.
    Not in those words, exactly, but the reason the guy was in jail is irrelevant to the fact that Clarke was responsible for his safety.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Who do you blame for the four deaths in L.A. county jails?

3. Smallpotatoes

Whoever runs the LA jails?

What's your point?

What does it have to do with Sheriff Uncle Tom?

Is this one of those if I'm going to criticize someone I don't like I have to criticize someone I do for something that you think is the same thing shit again?

It's really the only way you know how to argue, right?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    jr/shotglass, Matt1735 and HanSenSE like this.
  4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like they have a problem with the screws at the LA County jail.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The part that you say is weird is the problem, obviously. This is a well-established game. New president gets his own new political appointees. Those appointees know that when the time comes (new administration) they then step aside gracefully for a president who in turn gets his own political appointees.

Enter Donald J. Trump. When he was acting like the bloviating king of the world during the transition, he had Bharara up to Trump Tower. Bharara was essentially groveling to keep his job. Bharara came out and stared into the cameras and said "He wants me to stay on." That is Donald Trump. He'll look someone in the eye and say whatever is expedient at that moment -- and his word has zero meaning. He is the king of bullshit.

I am not a fan of Preet Bharara. Those are highly politicized jobs, and within that context, I would actually guess that he has a fair degree of integrity -- he's not the sleaziest AG you will ever find, if I had to guess. But he also was a grandstander (all of those Southern District AGs are, so it isn't a criticism specific to him) -- the typical "new sheriff of Wall Street" stuff always just pissed me off.

Despite that, I became a fan of Bharara for the way he handled this. They treated him like an asshole. If they weren't going to play the game in the well-established wat that treated him with a degree of dignity, why should he have played along too? In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't change anything. Trump won't lose a wink of sleep over firing him -- he had someone else make a phone call. But I am glad Bharara made him fire him -- it highlights what jackasses they are and how they mismanage everything that requires a degree of grace. It should be noted by people.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Bharara got his revenge. Any prosecutor worth his/her salt can make the most innocent of actions look sinister and that's what he did to Trump.

7. YankeeFan

A. You shouldn't call anyone an Uncle Tom

2. I'm not a fan of Sheriff Clarke. He's a grandstander, who is riding his role as law and order, black conservative for all it's worth.

But, somehow, the only jail in the country where you noticed a problem was the jail he runs. Why is that?

I don't believe you give two fucks about what happened in his jail. If you did, you'd also be upset about what's happening in L.A. County. But, since you can't score any political points by referencing L.A. County, you not only didn't mention it, you likely weren't aware of the problems.

If you want to discuss jail/prison issues, it's a worthy topic, but limiting it to Milwaukee means you're only interested in politics.

8. YankeeFan

Problem: Minority teachers fail test.

Solution: Scrap test.

Yeah. Let's keep teachers who can't pass a basic literacy test.

New York education officials are poised to scrap a test designed to measure the reading and writing skills of people trying to become teachers, in part because an outsized percentage of black and Hispanic candidates were failing it.

The state Board of Regents on Monday is expected Monday to adopt a task force's recommendation of eliminating the literacy exam, known as the Academic Literacy Skills Test.

Backers of the test say eliminating it could put weak teachers in classrooms. Critics of the examination said it is redundant and a poor predictor of who will succeed as a teacher.

"We want high standards, without a doubt. Not every given test is going to get us there," said Leslie Soodak, a professor of education at Pace University who served on the task force that examined the state's teacher certification tests.

The literacy test was among four assessments introduced in the 2013-2014 school year as part of an effort to raise the level of elementary and secondary school teaching in the state.

QYFW likes this.
  9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The lone reason you've been playing defense for several months now is that you're inordinately invested in politics. Because it sure can't be because of the man.

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

The jail deaths issue is a thing in Virginia.

11. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

12. Smallpotatoes

1. He is an Uncle Tom, the textbook definition of one, in fact. And maybe instead of inserting himself into national debates he should focus on his own jurisdiction.

2. The subject is a guy who was deprived of water for several days. Yes, he flooded his cell so they had to shut off his water, but there's no reason they couldn't have given him bottled water to drink and remove it when he was done.

3. LA County has nothing to do with this. You're deflecting. Don't ever pull that shit again.

4). The Marciopa County deaths and inmate abuse was a problem. Now Joe Arpaio is out of office.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.