1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Great news out of West Virginia for those who worship the golden calf of Free Market. Because if any industry should be trusted to police itself without the dead hand of government weighing it down, it is coal mining.

WV Senate bill eliminates mine safety enforcement

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I just figured he was running for Congress.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Or even just explain to us how such an esteemed journalist allowed himself to get played so badly.

YankeeFan and Hermes like this.
  5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Well, there's this, from Johnston:

"STARMAN,
    Please see my post about the completely wrong characterization of my column by JayFarrar. Nothing I wrote deserves the kind of comment you posted."

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I don't think he got played. He remarked very early in the interview that it is possible (and hinted it may even be probable) that the documents came from the President himself.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Given he hasn't visited the board (while logged in) since 2015, I don't think tagging him will do much good.

9. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Edit: I bet the kids have no idea lil Billy is doing here:

[​IMG]

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't after you.

georgealfano likes this.
  11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The idea of journalism is to obtain accurate information on new or previously unknown phenomena and present it to the public. Trump's tax return fragment was unknown information. Johnston didn't get "played" if he made it public, whether or not it's release served Trump's purposes or not (a debatable proposition). He did his damn job. What was he supposed to do, keep the two pages a secret out of concern for possible political consequences? That would be really wrong.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

David Cay Johnston and Rachel Maddow both got played. He did exactly what the administration set out to do when they sent him two cherry-picked pages of the most favorable tax return they could find.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.