1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

See Gee's post above.

lakefront likes this.
  2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Just don't make fun of Warren Beatty. That's crossing the line.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Gee's post is pure stupidity. It's not a journalist's job to run quickly with half-baked information fed to you by someone with an agenda. It's a journalist's job to understand the agenda and see that he is getting played. David Cay Johnston was a fucking tool.

SnarkShark likes this.
  4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

yet still reads the thread and likes things on occasion. Kinda reminds me of this. I'll tell ya! These SJ.com guys, they love me!"

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Am I not posing enough for you?

I can step it up, but it's been kind of fun to see how this has gone without my input.

FileNotFound likes this.
  6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Yes. Whatever would we do without you...

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Agree to disagree. Saying he got played implies he didn't see the possible agenda of the leaker. He saw the possible agenda behind the leak and acknowledged it in the interview.

franticscribe and Inky_Wretch like this.
  8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

"Why did you make me Bud Selig if you didn't...?"

"Nobody did. You just started saying that."

9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

From the SBC site:

"Baptists have long held the principles of congregational self-governance, self-support, and selfpropagation. Local churches select their own staff, ordain their own ministers, adopt their own budgets, organize their own ministries, hold legal title to their own properties, and establish their own membership requirements.

The Southern Baptist Convention does none of these, for it is not a “church” and it has no authority over the churches. In fact, the SBC “does not claim and will never attempt to exercise authority over any other Baptist body” (SBC Constitution, Article IV, emphasis supplied). The Convention does not ordain ministers, assign staff to churches, levy contributions, choose literature, adopt the church calendar, monitor or maintain church membership lists, or assign persons to churches according to place of residence. These are all local church prerogatives."

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That doesn't make you any less wrong. He didn't need to run right out with that information and handled it like some kid straight out of j school. I assume he wanted to be credited with a big scoop. It was pathetic.

Here is Donald Trump Jr. mocking the overzealous duo:

11. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Maddow got played, but she helped it immensely by hyping a Trump tax return she had to know was very unremarkable, with a countdown clock and everything. I'm sure even Trump was surprised at how well that went for him. It was very Karl Rove-ian, a la Dan Rather and the fake Guard letter.

All Maddow did was give Trump fans a chance to say "See? Nothing to see here."

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

No reporter on Earth would have sat on the information Johnston got. None. A tax return is a document. If it's "half-baked" the filer committed a federal crime with severe penalties. Johnston himself raised the possibility Trump mailed it to him. He made a choice, the only choice a reporter has.
    Cable news runs countdown clocks for everything this side of a supermarket opening.

lakefront and HanSenSE like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.