1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Yes. Greatly.

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Super-long read-back, but that's correct. A United Methodist Church building is held "in trust" by the whole denomination. Lord knows a whole bunch of churches, left and right, would have walked by now if they could over the UMC's handling of the human sexuality issue, not to mention the ones who pitch fits over the appointment system either because they don't like the pastor they were given or didn't like losing the one they had. UMC pastors are assigned by the bishop of the annual conference (roughly the size of an archdiocese) to one-year terms starting and ending each July 1. Bishops are less prone than they used to be to move a pastor out of a situation that's working for the sake of doing so, but an appointment of more than about five years or so is pretty abnormal.

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

He needs to forget this tax stuff and finish Game of Thrones already.

cyclingwriter2 and HC like this.
  4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I know they both have beards, but that guy just does not look like this guy.

[​IMG]

7. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Having thought about the Maddow thing more, the most annoying thing was the hype and lack
    of correlation.

No matter what, it was news. And the questions she asked in the first segment are legit and need answers.

But the big reveal of the two pages had no relation to the questions that need to be answered about Trump's foreign business ties.

As someone else said, it was news, not a whole show.

I thought Maddow was somewhat above the cable news circus. It's a thoughtful, calm show.

Guessing she realized it wasn't going to go well when that first tweet blew up. She tried to tamp down expectations shortly after.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Yeah, as the Internet got crabby last night I couldn't help but think the whole enterprise was a product of some producers or network flaks who were trying to hype up a number.

9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

I'm assuming someone does her social media. And once everyone thought it was the silver bullet of impeachment, she got involved and had to release that it was one partial return from 2005. I agree, likely network honchos looking for a rating. I'm sure they got a huge rating, but at the expense of their best show. Not a good tradeoff.

Of course, we did get Trump confirming the tax return and calling it fake news at the same time. That's a new one.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Remember, Fucko flunky Blowjob Joe steers the political coverage on MSNBC and decides what's going to get hyped up.

Maybe he wanted an extra stinky turd to blow up on Maddow's lap? Pick off one of the couple of isolated libs left on the network?

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This would have been a good angle , too.

Trump tax bill would have been slashed by his plans

Instead, they went on the air and told us the return showed he made a lot of money and paid a lot (although not as much as they thought he should) in taxes (just as the Trump people hoped for) then, like clock work, Trump released his statement emphasizing those two points.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Our pastor has been at the same UMC church for more than 20 years. She was the assistant for about 20 years before they finally promoted her to lead pastor (because the old folks who've known her for decades were about ready to revolt). It's very odd to see the bigger UMCs change pastors every couple of years while we don't. Same pastor, choir director and children's director for decades. The "well, we've always done it this way" is deeply, deeply ingrained in my church. It's pretty frustrating - especially as we watch the numbers decline and a century-old cathedral winds up being 1/5th full on Sundays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.