1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Sourcing, YF! The Forward story had three on-record sources and Gorka using a title from the Nazi group in question. Tablet has Gorka's denial and the smug anonymous White House quote (both taken completely at face value) and a lengthy passage obfuscating about said Nazi group. There's not an ounce of reporting beyond that.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Red Sox would be fine with the real MVP Mookie Betts out there.

4. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

Who knew diplomacy could be so complicated?

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's not. But it sure makes for great fodder in the Punditsphere.

6. Neutral Corner

Either this was a predetermined and desired outcome, or Tillerson has profound ignorance of how diplomacy works... or both. Diplos in these talks sit at a table and repeat the same positions over and over, word for word, for weeks at a time. The change of two words can signal a huge shift in a country's position. Trump obviously has no clue about this, nor does he have the discipline to not run off at the mouth and turn the table over inadvertently. His foul up with regard to the One China policy shows how ignorant and uncaring he is with regard to diplomatic matters.

I suspect that Bannon has no problem with a little war, because the country tends to fall in behind the President in time of war. I wonder if these people truly understand that Seoul, the capital of South Korea, is thirty-five miles from the border and that North Korea has something on the order of twenty thousand artillery tubes in fortified positions aimed at Seoul. Twenty two million people live in Seoul. If it truly drops in the pot over there, the humanitarian and property damage will be massive. The U.S. and China at loggerheads over Korea is another Putin dream come true.

These fucking idiots have no idea what they are playing with here. They scare the shit out of me.

7. Neutral Corner

Senator Ben Sasse threw a stealth Town Hall today, but the word got out. Here's what the agitators that George Soros pays to blow up those meetings look like. Participatory democracy in action.

chrislibrarian (@chrislibrarian) | Twitter

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

And how many of those 10-14 million people will wake up tomorrow, go to the doctor and receive a catastrophic diagnosis and need health insurance?

Also, if someone receives a catastrophic diagnosis I bet they find the money for the deductible. But coming up with 5k for a deductible is a lot easier than coming up with 350k or whatever the cost of the birth of premature twins is in today's medical market.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The idea you don't need health insurance is nuts. Insurance of any kind is a product you hope you never have to use. If health insurance wasn't desired by most people, employers wouldn't offer it as a benefit.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

In a vacuum, yes, it's nuts.

But in a "this is going to eat 30 percent of my take-home pay, and the deductible will eat another 10 percent, and insurance still only covers 80 percent of costs after that" universe . . . I can see why someone might, just might, decide to roll the dice.

Try raising homeowners' insurance to 25 percent of someone's take-home pay, and see if a few people don't drop it.

There is a point where you cannot afford to be protected, even if logic tells you you cannot afford not to be protected.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  12. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Exactly. If all you can afford is a dice roll, you may just have to roll the dice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.