1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If Nunes is briefing Trump on details of FBI investigation, he needs to refresh his memory on US Code section of obstruction of justice. He's in the big leagues, and he thinks he's still a backbench Congressperson from an anonymous district in California. Not to mention, he wanted leakers to go to jail on Monday and had a freakin' press conference to reveal details of US intelligence operations on Wednesday.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
    bigpern23 likes this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I didn't hear Franken's questioning of him, but I heard most of Durbin questioning him on the same case.

Seems the law was clear. He didn't like that he had to follow the law, but felt he had to.

It's always unclear to me why folks get angry with the judge who follows the law instead of the legislators who write bad laws.

The only other option is for the judge to enforce a law as he wishes it were written. A legal system can't work that way.

In the trucker case, he would have been protected had he failed to operate an unsafe vehicle despite an order to do so.

In his case, he operated the vehicle rather than stay with a disabled vehicle as ordered.

The law didn't protect him in this case. That's a problem with the law, not with Gorsuch's decision.

3. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

They're not alone in their perspective.

Trump Feels ‘Somewhat’ Vindicated After Hearing from Devin Nunes

4. YankeeFan

Voter fraud never happens!!

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Re: Following the law, there is a lot of wiggle room there. For example on the Hobby Lobby case, Gorsuch said he went with the definition of person that includes corporations and said its black and white, written down, that's the law. The senator grilling him said that wasn't the intention of the law and that context is supposed to be used, etc.

If following the law were easy, we wouldn't need judges.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The temperature was below zero and the heater in his cabin didn't work and the worker woke up numb and couldn't feel his feet. He was in danger of freezing to death and decided to take matters into his hands to save his life.

Neil Gorsuch’s Arrogant “Frozen Trucker” Opinion Shows He Wants to Be Like Scalia

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Actually, the law did protect him because the majority found in the trucker's favor. Gorsuch was the one on the fringe. Hardly a case of "the mean old law made me do it." He ruled the way he wanted.

cranberry and Kato like this.
  9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It sounds good on paper, but not too sure picking the battles is in everyone's best interest at this time. From the Rolling Stone article:

Fight what needs to be fought. Don't hold back for a rainy day. The drops are falling all around.

10. YankeeFan

I understand that and so does Gorsuch.

I wouldn't have fired him and don't think he deserved to be fired.

He clearly did the safe thing.

None of that is in question.

The question was whether the law protects him from getting fired as a result of his (wise) decision. It doesn't.

Someone should change the law and work on writing better ones in the future. Blaming the judge who decided based on the law makes no sense.

11. YankeeFan

And yes, Gorsuch wrote a minority opinion, so I guess you could say he was "wrong".

It's still not a good way for a legal system to work.

Judges aren't supposed to assume what the law intended.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Context wasn't voted on in either house nor signed by the President. You like the "living Constitution" approach. He doesn't. For a strict constructionist, there usually isn't much wiggle room.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.