1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

At least until somebody figures out how to get rid of the bitch herself.

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Top House Intel Democrat: Flynn's move to ask for immunity is 'grave and momentous'

"With respect to the offer by the attorney for Michael Flynn that he would be willing to testify before the House and Senate Intelligence Committees, but only in exchange for immunity, we should first acknowledge what a grave and momentous step it is for a former national security adviser to the president of the United States to ask for immunity from prosecution," Schiff said in a statement. "We will be discussing the matter with our counterparts on the Senate Intelligence Committee and the Department of Justice."

Well played.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The longer he holds those spots open, the longer he can say the Democrats are blocking his nominations. Not that anyone believes a fucking thing he says anyway.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Wrote a whole article about what he said, and didn't even provide the full quote.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Hard to keep up with all the #FakeNews.

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

They provided a LOT of the quote:
    "I did hear Mr. Protas, your opening remarks, where you quoted Leviticus, I believe -- and I think that’s a great reflection on the character of God and the compassion of God’s heart and how we ought to reflect that compassion in our lives," Arrington said. "But there’s also, you know, in the Scripture, tells us in 2 Thessalonians chapter 3:10 he says, uh, ‘for even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: if a man will not work, he shall not eat.’ And then he goes on to say ‘we hear that some among you are idle' ... I think it’s a reasonable expectation that we have work requirements."

They did also include: "The verse in question applies specifically to people who can work or otherwise contribute to society but choose not to, said theologians from several denominations who spoke to The Post." ... "Nonetheless, there remains a persistent misconception — embodied by the recent political invocation Thessalonians verse — that many unemployed SNAP participants simply don’t “want” to work."
    And they tried to contact him: "Arrington’s office did not return a request for further explanation on how he intended the quote to be understood."

ADD: Because I got around to finishing off that screed, the author's contention that the Post ignores the fact that "The apostle Paul wasn’t drafting a law for the government to pass banning the jobless from having food. He was telling his fellow disciples to avoid idleness and disruption of the church body."

Manages to completely miss this part of the article: "The passage, written by Saint Paul, was not addressed to the poor or hungry generally, said the Rev. David Beckmann, a Lutheran pastor and the president of the faith-based anti-hunger organization Bread for the World. It was written to a specific sect of early Christians, who had abandoned many aspects of their regular lives because they believed the apocalypse was imminent.

“The sin is sloth, indolence, inactivity,” echoed Al Mohler, the president of the Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, a prominent evangelical school. “This is not an issue of inability. I don’t think it has been, in the history of the church.”"

Doesn't seem like gross negligence to me.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017
  9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This reminds me of a great Letterman bit from the 1980s.
    "If Ricky Schroeder and Gary Coleman were to engage in a battle to the death with pool cues, who would win?
    A) Ricky Schroeder
    B) Gary Coleman
    C) The television-viewing public

Chef2 and TowelWaver like this.
  10. tapintoamerica

Perhaps the refusal of the Flynn offer means they don't have anything yet but are working on it and aren't ready to accept yet. They could always accept at a later date, right?

11. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

I smell bread.

12. tapintoamerica

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.