1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Considering that, until a few months ago, ISIS was the leader of a good chunk of Iraq and is still fighting to hold onto that power, yes.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

LOL. He wasn't unilateral enough. LOL.

That's the best "answer" I could have hoped for.

4. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

Carrier. Not ship. If we are going to install this as today's chant, at least get the terminology right.

5. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

6. cisforkoke

That was the predictable answer. I actually would have guessed something like: "He didn't support enough of (fill in the blank) causes."

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

He wasn't a lame duck, in name or in terms of his ability to get things done. He was able to get through a pretty ambitious legislative agenda, including a massive spending bill and the ACA. It's just dumb to suggest otherwise, in jest or in seriousness.

I shouldn't have been surprised that pointing out an obvious reality has somehow gotten lost on some people on this thread. It's just a fact. He was not getting a Supreme Court nominee through with an election happening later in the year. Call him a duck, a moose or a duck-billed platypus. At that point in his presidency, he was a placeholder playing out the string. That was just the reality of how little influence he had at that point.

Should the Republicans have given Merrick Garland a hearing and a vote?. I thought so. I thought it was chickenshit to just spike the nomination. Obama had every right (and the authority) to nominate someone. The Senate had every right (and the authority) to reject his nomination. They should have taken it on head on, in my opinion. Instead they took the gutless way out. That is beside the point, though, that there was no way Obama was getting a Supreme Court nominee through them at that point in his presidency.

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Please put your comments in the context of professional wrestling.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Ahhh yes - the moving goal posts of conservative demands.

Obama: "Red line for Syria!"
    GOP: "You better get Congressional approval!"
    Obama: "Can I have approval?"
    GOP: "No."
    QYFW: "*Cheers!*

.... several years later ...

QYFW: "Obama didn't back up his red line in Syria!"

.... several years after that ....

Trump: "Let's shoot missiles at Syria!"
    GOP: "No approval necessary!"
    QYFW: "Way to be decisive, Trump!"

Yes. Obama wasn't unilateral enough. Because conservatives - and their ever-changing policy positions - make cooperation impossible.

bigpern23 and Neutral Corner like this.
  10. cisforkoke

Now that the Undertaker is retiring, I think I can name zero pro wrestlers today.

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Glad you support Trump's decision.

12. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I support limited intervention in Syria, and I hope Trump has handed off the actual decision making to someone not named "Trump." That's consistent with how I felt about it in 2013.

Now what about the GOP - you know, the people you vote for? How do you justify their policy 180?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.