1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

"The Iran deal is a lot like Obamacare in that Republicans ..."

It's also a lot like Obamacare in that people who think it's the tits -- well, to be more accurate, they think the people who negotiated it are the tits -- proffer a tautology as evidence of its effectiveness.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I hate when people do that.

[​IMG]

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It's very much like Obamacare in that respect. It's detractors have absolutely no suggestion as how to better handle the given situation. And, again, you were the one suggesting the negotiated deal points were somehow different from the deal's objectives.

What are these other secret Iran deal objectives of which apparently only you are aware?

And, FWIW, nobody thought the Iran deal (or Obamacare for that matter) could accomplish everything we'd like to accomplish. People with brains understand negotiations never lead to all sides getting everything they wanted to accomplish at the outset.

4. doctorquant

Oh, please ... you're just flailing now. I never said anything about secret objectives.

This isn't rocket science. There was a formal over-arching goal for the deal. There also were behavioral targets specified in the deal. Just because the latter are being conformed with -- which is what the administration has reported -- doesn't mean the former's being realized. Which is why, in response to your earlier post -- "... the administration is reporting that the multilateral Iran deal is achieving its objectives ..." -- I simply pointed out that that's a mischaracterization of what the administration's reporting. I stand by the point. You can posture all you want, but them's the facts.

Oh, and your little bon mot -- "People with brains understand ..." -- so classy.

5. cranberry

Formal over-arching goal of the deal????? It's part of the deal or it's not part of the deal.

6. doctorquant

People with brains would understand.

QYFW likes this.
  7. cranberry

Nope. You make no sense at all. Explain this "formal over-arching goal" that you believe exists.

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Dear Bill,

Welcome to the No Job Zone.

I hope I was the first to come up with that one.

9. doctorquant

"The E3/EU+3 (China, France, Germany, the Russian Federation, the United Kingdom and the United States, with the High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy) and the Islamic Republic of Iran welcome this historic Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), which will ensure that Iran’s nuclear programme will be exclusively peaceful, and mark a fundamental shift in their approach to this issue. They anticipate that full implementation of this JCPOA will positively contribute to regional and international peace and security. Iran reaffirms that under no circumstances will Iran ever seek, develop or acquire any nuclear weapons."

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Before we celebrate the Iranian deal as any kind of success, we should probably remember that it was modeled after the "successful" deal Bill Clinton cut to keep North Korea from acquiring nuclear weapons. How'd that work out?

There's also never a bad time to post this:

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

This never would've happened in a traditional, white Christian America.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.