1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Some posters should get their anxiety or bipolar medications while they still can.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Well, not all of them, certainly. But I might lament your combustion.

Might.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yeah ... no. I was wrong.

4. Riptide

Yeah, well, I'm not going there in depth. But I've worked group homes with severely disabled kids, with no hope for most of them ever getting out of their beds or wheelchairs, and that stuff will make you sit in your car and cry. ... Then you somehow do it the next day, and then you do it the next week ... So, yeah, some people get lucky, but plenty of others fall through the cracks, and their futures are bleak, and it's incredibly worse if they can't get the care they need.

Last edited: May 5, 2017
  5. doctorquant

Caring. Empathy. Depth ... I've sensed that in you.

Or maybe not.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah. There's a lot of tragic stuff out there. Kids with no light at the end of their tunnel.

And yet, there's love. And, there's value and dignity to their lives. And, somehow, moments of joy, and laughter.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Let's talk about feeding tubes.

I spent a good chunk of last Saturday volunteering at a softball tournament put on by my college roommate. He had multiple teams who paid entry fees (the city was nice enough to give him use of four fields at no charge), a home run derby contest (10 pitches for $10), two separate raffles (one for donated prizes, one split the pot) and concessions run out of a trailer borrowed from the local Coke bottler (everything a dollar, from candy bars to sports drinks to nasty looking hot dogs out of the crock pot).

All of this was to raise money for his wife's ongoing medical bills. Long story short, her intestines are paralyzed, incapable of moving food. Maybe someday she won't need a feeding tube, but that involves a lot of costly treatments (which she will have either way). Chronic condition. She's stuck with this the rest of her life, however long that is.

Thing is, this wasn't a one-time fundraising deal. He puts this on every year. And does a fundraising auction in the fall. And runs multiple Facebook groups that basically come down to sharing his wife's story and asking for money. It ebbs and flows with the seasons, but if you averaged it out of the course of the year I'd guess his scrounging and organizing adds up to the equivalent of a 10-15 hour a week job for him, on top of his real job as an IT guy for an area school system. (She can't work). I hate to say thank God they're childless but he probably would have dropped dead from exhaustion if there were kids added to the mix.

All of that was with the highly imperfect Obamacare in place (minus a Medicaid expansion because good ole Alabama), but it was at least something, a floor of support. Now? If her lifetime benefits get capped they're fucked. If he ever loses his job under this new law (and it certainly can't help that he has to go to Cleveland with her once or twice a year for extended stays) they're fucked.

8. Riptide

Well, not toward you, lol. You're a condescending asshole. :D

heyabbott likes this.
  9. doctorquant

Lighten up, Hillary ... next thing you know, you're gonna want to have "a conversation."

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But, but FREEDOM!!!!

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Well, with trump and the Christian Right in charge that love will be have to be stronger because those kids lives will be shorter.

12. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

And it's a disgrace in this country, the richest nation on the planet, that some will die because they don't have enough money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.