1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

A nation of bartenders, I like that term, might steal it. I was searching for something like that when it was pointed out a higher minimum wage would cost "Jobs." Now it's not economically useful for other reasons clearly, but the idea that we must save the $28,000 a year jobs. That more of those is pretty meaningful, never sat well with me.

The next question that's more interesting, is there any reason to believe that shift isn't just a move toward natural equilibrium in a freer economy? Is seems so many big changes end with a widely distributed benefit, the death of quality jobs (at least in terms of pay) and of course some consolidation of more income at the top. Seems like the narrative around NAFTA or the eventual automaton of the trucking industry. These steps toward efficiency knock out some quality jobs, enriches the consumer in a small way and seems to make the companies in question a good bit more change. Who's to say that's not just where the economy will takes us?

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Among the biggest problems in our economy is that work, much of it very hard work, doesn't pay enough. But an economy at 4.4 percent unemployment is obviously in better shape than one with 6,7.8 or higher percent by the same standard of measurement, which was the case in the US not so very long ago.

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Am I the only one to find it amusing Trump took Cinco de Mayo off?

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Nah, I'm sure he's on the grueling Ronald Reagan four-day-a-week 10 am-3 pm work schedule (with lunch).

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sucking up Chelsea's oxygen today is...

JFK's grandson! Will he run for office?

6. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

George Jetson worked a few hours per week. My "accurate" crystal ball predicts working hours will shrink to address loss of jobs through automation. Won't happen for another 15-20 years.

7. Starman

Already better qualified than Fucko.

8. Starman

9. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I know the Canadian system has it's challenges but you would not have waited 3 months for that test here.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Just a little sarcasm to lighten my own mood.

Vombatus, Iron_chet, HC and 1 other person like this.
  11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Keep slaughtering that straw man rather than keep the discussion on the failings of process and results so far in the Republicans' quest to replace it.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Somehow, to some, that's also supposed to mean I must sing the praises of Obamacare. And, I must be thankful to our former Dear Leader for proving for us.

Oh, for pete's sake.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.