1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

Had lunch today with an former co-worker who is a staunch Republican and highly successful sports bettor (not necessarily in that order).

His comment on the House vote: "If I had to put money on this, I'd bet on Obamacare still being the law of the land at the end of Trump's term."

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm old enough to remember when this kind of stuff would infuriate civil libertarians.

Now, I can't even get a little outrage out of @MisterCreosote:

In all, government officials conducted 30,355 searches in 2016 seeking information about Americans in NSA intercept metadata, which include telephone numbers and email addresses. The activity amounted to a 27.5 percent increase over the prior year and more than triple the 9,500 such searches that occurred in 2013, the first year such data was kept.

The government in 2016 also scoured the actual contents of NSA intercepted calls and emails for 5,288 Americans, an increase of 13 percent over the prior year and a massive spike from the 198 names searched in 2013.

President Obama's team sought NSA intel on thousands of Americans during the 2016 election

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

MC will be briefly indignant that you pointed this out.

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

At least Rand Paul is fired up about it. I hope they investigate this fully.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. Max Garcia

Max Garcia Member

The CBO screwed up Obamacare estimate. It's a joke.

I hope Senate cuts down on amount of pages. More words = more bureaucrats.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

You should tell us. It would make your first concrete contribution to SJ.com.

Ace likes this.
  10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Not anymore: Trumpcare blows the lid off maximum out of pocket expenses for patients with catastrophic, i.e., costly, conditions. (For all insurance.) So essentially if you get really seriously sick, you're fucked.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Many things were required under theACA. Keeping your kids until they were 26. Contraceptives were required to be covered. But lifetime caps are a big deal.

But trump,doesn't care what the bill says. If it was a single payer with government paying everything he would be in favor of it if it could get passed. All he wants is to win. The substance doesn't matter. He'd sign his grandchildrens' death warrants if he thought it would make him popular.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

What makes you think I have no outrage over this? How long has it been since I mentioned raping and pillaging the Fourth Amendment?

Not being surprised by it doesn't equal not caring about it.

I do find funny the schmucks who insisted this kind of power was necessary for national security only to get outraged when that power is used on them.

BadgerBeer likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.