1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

If you're woke, you'd use "hu."

doctorquant likes this.
  2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Singular "they" is the obvious solution and I'll do my best to contribute to the cause of making it common usage.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Donald Trump said premiums and deductibles will be going down under this new bill. Is his word not good enough for you?

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'm not woke. I barely know what that means, and it certainly is not part of my working vocabulary. I'll use the English that I learned half a century ago, thank you very much. If you don't like it, feel free not to read it. The ignore function is quite easy to utilize.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

You and Stain shouldn't get pissy at me for your dogged determination to support structural violence that continues patriarchal hegemony.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A really good (and really long) profile of Will Hurd. Did not realize he was student body president at A&M during the bonfire tragedy.

Will Hurd Is the Future of the GOP*

JC and Inky_Wretch like this.
  8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

This is the first I've seen it. That is disgusting.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Optics obviously matter in politics. This reinforces the mindset the GOP is the party for white men.

10. outofplace

I need to read this more closely, but a quick impression:

This article actually highlights one of the problems with school choice. You are still going to have students relegated to the less-desirable schools.

Allowing the choice to start at the high school level does not help. If the system is competitive, students who attended better elementary and middle schools will have a large advantage. Students with parents who are more active and involved will also have an advantage with a complex application process involved.

But here is the real question. How do you fix it? Don't we have more disparity in the quality of education with charter schools and better-funded private schools? Isn't this an argument in favor of turning the focus back on improving all public schools to create a more fair system?

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Bill Moyers: Trump and his Republican allies don't care about health care.
    They're just out to look busy and cut taxes for the rich, writes Michael Winship.

[​IMG]

The fact is, few Republicans have even read the bill. They did not wait for a cost estimate from the Congressional Budget Office before ramming it through. No hearings were held; no group was given the opportunity to raise its objections in such a public forum: no American Cancer Society, AARP, the March of Dimes, the American Hospital Association — all of which, along with many other professional and advocacy organizations, have made their opposition known. No American Medical Association, which announced, “millions of Americans will lose their health insurance as a direct result of this proposal…”

But if you’re looking for the real reasons Republicans were throwing themselves a frat party on Thursday, heed first the words of Sister Carol Keehan, president of the Catholic Health Association of the United States:

“It is critically important to look at this bill for what it is. It is not in any way a health care bill. Rather, it is legislation whose aim is to take significant funding allocated by Congress for health care for very low-income people and use that money for tax cuts for some of our wealthiest citizens. This is contrary to the spirit of who we are as a nation, a giant step backward that should be resisted.”

Then remember, as Paul Kane noted in The Post, that the GOP “viewed the measure as a necessary step to demonstrate some sense of momentum and some ability to govern in GOP-controlled Washington… inside the White House, President Trumps advisers became increasingly concerned about how little they had to show in terms of early victories.”

America's Health Is in the Hands of GOP Frat Boys – BillMoyers.com

12. outofplace

I see we have a new distraction. Now it is going to be a debate over what Democrats would do if they were in control rather than keeping the focus on what Republicans are doing now that they are in control. Ridiculous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.