1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Just before the inauguration, CNN asked Chuck Schumer about the prospects of the Dems working with Trump to find common ground.
    Schumer's answer was, "The only way we're going to work with him is if he moves completely in our direction and abandons his Republican colleagues."
    I think that pretty well sums up the definition of bipartisanship these days.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's just bullshit. The Dems in Congress, at Obama's behest, went through months of jumping through hoops to get Republicans in the House and Senate on board. They refused. Snowe of Maine voted for the ACA in committee, then voted against it on the floor because of pressure from McConnell and her donors. Your comment is pretty close to Russian botdom. Completely uninformed as to something that didn't happen all that long ago.

3. Michael_ Gee

Well, there's nothing wrong with that, or when Republicans do it, for that matter. Parties stand for things. Sometimes I feel sympathy for pols. If they compromise, they're spineless wimps. If they stand on principle, people wail about partisanship. If the voters want compromise, they should elect compromisers. The trend in the last three decades has been just the opposite. We must conclude the electorate wants the parties to fight, no matter what they tell pollsters.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Exactly. They're eager to beat their chests on background but unwilling to do anything.
    They're embarrassed but afraid.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Five Reasons Why the Comey Affair Is Worse Than Watergate

Because of the current lineup of legislative and executive power, the leaders whose choices matter are all Republicans. I hope some of their choices, soon, allow them to be remembered as positively as are the GOP’s defenders of constitutional process from the Watergate days. But as of this moment, the challenge to the American system seems more extreme than in that era, and the protective resources weaker.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'd say the electorate wants to fight, too.

Propose an abortion or gun-control "compromise" that YankeeFan, QYFW and Batman would be on board with. And the same challenge goes to those three.

What are you willing to bend on?

7. Michael_ Gee

Why has no one leaked a single incriminating document? Maybe it's because the FBI counterespionage unit conducts its affairs with integrity and professionalism out of patriotism, unlike, say, the House Oversight Committee.

8. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the leakers weren't privy to the collusion, aren't under investigation themselves, and thus don't have the goods per se. What they do have is a front row seat to the people who are under investigation and can report of the behavior they observe. Read: Priebus, Pence and the like, people on their staffs. Guys who came aboard the Trump train late

9. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

10. Michael_ Gee

Oddly enough, the one person who ran on a compromise platform was Donald Trump. He offered policies designed to appeal to white racism and race-based fear but also promised to maintain the social safety net of Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security. That he abandoned the latter promise almost instantly upon election is one reason he's in political trouble now.

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Funny thing is, you're a moron. I was posting it in jest

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

SnarkShark and Batman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.