1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Once again, I'm not the one who changed.

And, I don't get "angry." I get "message-board angry."

There's a difference.

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Most of the people with whom I hang outside of work are pretty much Average American: lower-middle class, 50ish, marriages, kids, etc. Politically, they align more closely with @MisterCreosote than they do with anyone else on this board. Unfortunately, a fair number of them voted for Trump. The highest percentage of that fair number already regret it (and the rest are in the "Give Him a Chance" camp, not the "Fuck Yeah Trump!" camp).

Iron_chet likes this.
  3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is actually interesting anecdotal information. I think one reason we see so many stories about still-diehard Trump voters is self-selection. People who feel or even suspect they may have made a bad choice with their vote are probably less willing to blab about it to NBC or the Washington Post.

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The problem is America doesn't get angry anymore; it gets message board angry. People huff and puff and bitch on facebook but they don't really do anything. They call talk radio and yell table scraps of things they've heard on other talk radio but they don't really do anything. If it were up to present day America to stage the battle for worker's rights we'd all still be working seven days a week.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Anecdotally, I can also tell you that the highest percentage of those votes were votes against Clinton, not for Trump. People are lied to every day in ways they understand. Business people lie, car dealers lie, your kids lie. To them, Trump is that kind of liar. Most people don't deal with attorneys every day, and a lying lawyer is the worst kind of liar. To them, Clinton is that kind of liar.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Non-political event? You're funny.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I should clarify I made that distinction because I know, in real life, getting angry won't accomplish what I want to accomplish.

My message-board anger is just venting, not a substitute for action.

FileNotFound likes this.
  8. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I agree that it's a political event. Which is why someone in that position should not accept commencement speech invitations.

9. Michael_ Gee

At my graduation oh so long ago, the scheduled speaker was Pierre Trudeau. This was at the very peak of Quebec separatist violence, so he was scrubbed in favor of Kingman Brewster, most boring choice possible. Imagine being an innocent bystander hurt or worse because of Canadian politics.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You're really wrong but points for earnestness.

jr/shotglass likes this.
  11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You should get some younger, above average friends. You deserve it!

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael Flynn to take 5th Amendment rather than comply with Senate Intelligence committee subpoena. A wise choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.