1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Hey ... you told everyone it was no big deal. Make up your mind.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Isn't Pence Catholic? And doesn't Hagee have some anti-Catholic beliefs or statements in his past?

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It's amazing how mean people can be when you've treated them like shit every step of the way. Who could foreseen such a thing?

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

A. Your timeline means that the guy who was a parishioner in Rev. Wright's Church for twenty years, who credits the Wright for his deep Christian beliefs, who was inspired to write a book based on a Wright sermon, who was married by Wright, and who had his daughters baptized by Wright was unaware of these sermons for the entirety that he attended Wright's church. (Now, let me tell you, even if I had missed Church one week, if my Priest had launched into a "God damn America" sermon, I think I'd have heard about it the following week, or even the week after.)

2. CNN didn't break the story on March 13th. ABC and the New York Times were the first main stream media outlets to report on Wright's sermons, but Sean Hannity had been talking about Wright since at least January:

E-mail slams Obama on religion, race

His initial response to the Times and to ABC was not one of denunciation.

To the Times, we had this:

“The violence of 9/11 was inexcusable and without justification,” he said in a recent interview. He was not at Trinity the day Mr. Wright delivered his remarks shortly after the attacks, Mr. Obama said, but “it sounds like he was trying to be provocative.”

“Reverend Wright is a child of the 60s, and he often expresses himself in that language of concern with institutional racism and the struggles the African-American community has gone through,” Mr. Obama said. “He analyzes public events in the context of race. I tend to look at them through the context of social justice and inequality.”

Despite the canceled invocation, Mr. Wright prayed with the Obama family just before his presidential announcement. Asked later about the incident, the Obama campaign said in a statement, “Senator Obama is proud of his pastor and his church.”

A Candidate, His Minister and the Search for Faith

To ABC we had this:

Obama has praised at least one aspect of Rev. Wright's approach, referring to his "social gospel" and his focus on Africa, "and I agree with him on that."

Sen. Obama declined to comment on Rev. Wright's denunciations of the United States, but a campaign religious adviser, Shaun Casey, appearing on "Good Morning America" Thursday, said Obama "had repudiated" those comments.

In a statement to ABCNews.com, Obama's press spokesman Bill Burton said, "Sen. Obama has said repeatedly that personal attacks such as this have no place in this campaign or our politics, whether they're offered from a platform at a rally or the pulpit of a church. Sen. Obama does not think of the pastor of his church in political terms. Like a member of his family, there are things he says with which Sen. Obama deeply disagrees. But now that he is retired, that doesn't detract from Sen. Obama's affection for Rev. Wright or his appreciation for the good works he has done."

Obama's Pastor: God Damn America

Let's not pretend the campaign was unaware of this.

They "denounced" him only when wider media attention on the issue forced him to.

5. YankeeFan

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

The most basic thing we expect out of all our elected leaders is that they are in public service because they think their policies will benefit the country and the world for multiple generations. If they believe the end of the world is inevitable within the next few decades, will they be as motivated to fend off crisis as others? It is not unreasonable for us to ask them to state their feelings on this topic if they accept the invitation of a prominent believer in end-times theology.
    There is no religious litmus test for public service in America. That's in the Constitution. And not even in the Bill of Rights. The original document. Mike Pence can believe whatever he wants, and he wouldn't owe us an explanation if he hadn't gotten in bed with Hagee. But once he did that, the game changed. McCain disavowed Hagee's endorsement in 2008. Now we've got a guy who isn't simply running; he's the VP serving under a president who is under considerable investigation.

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

8. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

This is a dangerous question to ask in this thread.

9. YankeeFan

If it's an official, giving an approved briefing, on the condition of anonymity -- something the Obama administration did almost daily -- that's very different than an "unnamed source".

You know it is, and it's silly to pretend otherwise.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't really keep up with the faith of the VP - hence the squiggly thing indicating I was asking a question.

It's silly to pretend to hate anonymous sources.

12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

OK. Let's talk timetables here. When Obama got married and his kids were born and baptized, he had barely -- if at all -- started his political career.
    Second thing: He actually disavowed Wright's remarks when he had to be asked about them. Why volunteer something like that before you have to? Do you expect him to say, "You don't know this, but my pastor said some awful things that I disagree with" at the outset of a campaign?
    Again, the difference here is that Obama distanced himself from Wright, ultimately resigning from the church. Wright was not welcome to speak at the White House, and Obama didn't accept any invitations from him.
    Now contrast that with Pence, who is happily addressing a gathering led by a man who called Hitler a godsend.
    As Wilson notes, in his 2006 book “Jerusalem Countdown”, Hagee proposed the theory that “anti-Semitism, and thus the Holocaust, was the fault of Jews themselves — the result of an age old divine curse incurred by the ancient Hebrews through worshiping idols and passed, down the ages, to all Jews now alive.” He also wrote that “Most readers will be shocked by the clear record of history linking Adolf Hitler and the Roman Catholic Church in a conspiracy to exterminate the Jews.”

McCain Backer Hagee Said Hitler Was Fulfilling God's Will (AUDIO) | HuffPost

Did Obama know about these awful sermons? Surely. But I seriously doubt he spoke at Wright's church while campaigning for POTUS, and he didn't have anything to do with him as POTUS.
    Pence is about to lock arms with a man who says the Jews deserved to die in Hitler's ovens and that the Catholic Church is the Antichrist and "a whore."
    But he loves Izzzruhl. Why? Because a strong Izzruhl can set in motion the actions that will result in the Second Coming, at which time Jews will have two choices: Repudiate their religion or burn in hell for eternity.
    Nice guy our country's administration is involved with.

HanSenSE and Deskgrunt50 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.