1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

If you consider that Christianity got a 500-600 year head start, they're right on schedule.

Problem is, we have to exist at the same time.

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, that's not really a concern for everyone involved.

3. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Exactly! It is their dark ages. One of the reasons we need to be on the side of "the good ones". (for lack of a better word) we need them. Of course its also the right thing to do.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

It would be pretty hilarious if Jefferson Beauregard Secessions III were to get whacked. Of course, he'd just run for his old Senate seat and win it.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Robert Reich:

I fear the man is losing his mind. Today Trump attacked Democrats (whom he called “OBSTRUCTIONISTS!”), the mayor of London (whom he derided as “pathetic”), and the judicial system (which he termed “slow and political!”).

He even attacked his own Department of Justice – for, in his words, submitting a “watered down, politically correct” version of his executive order to the Supreme Court. He thereby undermined his own lawyers, who have been trying the make the legal case that Trump’s ban on travel from several Muslim-majority countries is not a “travel ban.” Today Trump tweeted: “I am calling it what we need and what it is, a TRAVEL BAN!”

How did Trump react to all the chaos he created today? By canceling without warning or notice a scheduled briefing with reporters where he was expected to answer questions.

We know he's a sociopath, but he seems to be growing worse. CNN’s Gloria Borger last week quoted a Trump confidant: “He now lives within himself, which is a dangerous place for Donald Trump to be. I see him emotionally withdrawing. He’s gained weight. He doesn’t have anybody whom he trusts.”

Rick Tyler, a veteran Republican consultant, said Trump’s refusal to stop using Twitter poses a serious obstacle for the White House.“I can’t imagine internally they’re happy with his performance,” Tyler said. “The president is undermining his presidency whenever his staff says one thing and then he does another. They’ll say something you’d expect, and then he’ll go off and bring in the gun debate to a terror attack.”

Is it because the FBI investigation is homing in on him? Or because his most trusted adviser, Jared Kushner, is about to be indicted? Or because his approval ratings continue to drop?

Whatever the cause, as Trump becomes more isolated, he becomes more paranoid – more fearful of becoming weak and humiliated. We know from Trump’s history that whenever he's cornered he also becomes more aggressive. The further he falls, the more fragile his ego becomes, and the greater is the danger that he will do something desperate. As the Washington Post’s Dana Milbank says, there is much that a desperate commander in chief can do.

This is why it is now time to seriously consider the 25th Amendment to the Constitution, which provides for removal of a president who is “unable to discharge the powers and duties of his office.” The determination is to be made by the Vice President and a majority of either the principal officers of the executive departments – that is, the Cabinet -- or of such other body as Congress may by law provide.

It is coming to that.

8. tapintoamerica

The 25th Amendment won't do it. Intended for cases in which POTUS is physically incapacitated and unable to speak or write. All he has to do to stall the process is write his own letter to President Pro Tem of the Senate and Speaker of the House saying he's fine. Then you go down the same path as impeachment/conviction: two-thirds majority vote in both to remove.
    Oddest thing about the incapacitation provision is that the VP becomes acting POTUS, assuming responsibilities of the office without the title. POTUS, theoretically, can remain in the White House while somebody else runs the country without the title.

9. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Can't wait for all the books from former trump administration insiders. Should be plenty of those by this xmas.

10. tapintoamerica

Oh, the fun they could have with titles.
    "I'm With Stupid: My Six Months as Trump's xxxxxxxxxxxxx."

11. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

Unjustified: A candid look inside Trump's Justice Department.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

TwitterDumb -- How I survived as Donald Trump's social media director.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.