1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

He hung out at the Y for the shower, the wi-fi, and the electricity and because they didn't throw him out for loitering there all day.

That republicans were practicing at the adjacent field was a happy coincidence for him.

Probably also easier to sleep in your van in Alexandria than it is on Pennsylvania Avenue.

2. YankeeFan

Lone nut.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You are responding to an imaginary post.

I am not suggesting that we outlaw gun ownership tomorrow. (Although I do advocate immediate repeat of the Second Amendment.)

But I advocate as a first principle eventually reducing the number of guns on Earth used in violent crimes to precisely zero.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Liar.

If the average citizen wants to carry, then I'm all for it - as long as they go through extreme vetting and rigorous training. The average MOLON LABE/MAGA dude wearing 5.11 pants has no training to deal with an active shooter. Putting a couple of boxes of rounds through a paper target at the range doesn't teach you how to move, shoot and communicate - nor how to deal with the Niagara Falls level dump of adrenaline that happens when somebody starts firing back at you.

That guy might get lucky to stop a mugger or something. But a guy with no combat shooting training pulling his Glock 19 to take on somebody behind cover (early reports say the shooter was behind a dugout while firing) with an AR or AK? I don't like his odds at all.

5. YankeeFan

Them my reply isn't to an imaginary post.

You're living in a fantasy world. In the real world people want, and are entitled to, the ability to defend themselves.

6. Dick Whitman

I edited the post to be more precise. I don't think it changes your response, though.

7. Dick Whitman

What you're arguing is that because the problem is difficult, it isn't worth trying to solve it. That's preposterous to me.

Your side's logic is so circular on this issue:

"We need guns because we need to defend against guns."

OK ... maybe there just shouldn't be any ... wait for it ... guns.

You're just advocating an arms race.

amraeder, Iron_chet and FileNotFound like this.
  8. YankeeFan

Guns are a nice defense against knives and other forms of aggression as well.

And there used to hunt, and protect against wild animals.

They're used for sport and are desired by collectors.

And they've been part of American culture for over 100 years.

9. Dick Whitman

Yeah, I don't care much about the last two sentences.

FileNotFound likes this.
  10. YankeeFan

Dick, if Chicago improves its public transportation, should it be able to ban private car ownership?

I mean, who would need there own car if good, reliable public transportation was provided.

11. Dick Whitman

The net effect of guns in wide circulation has been overwhelmingly negative to this country. I am certain that a handful of lives are saved every year by people defending themselves with firearms. But the cost is that thousands of lives are lost in the process.

You are making the, "If it saves one life ..." argument you hate in most contexts.

BadgerBeer likes this.
  12. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

A car, used as intended, is a method of getting from Point A to Point B.

A gun, used as intended, is meant to kill.

There's a difference.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.