1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Father of student just released from North Korea speaking now.

Seems very grateful to Trump, and like he was very frustrated with Obama.

Says they were asked to lie low during the Obama administration, but finally decided that the "time for strategic patience" was over.

Was just asked by a reporter if he thinks the previous administration could have done more, and replied that he thinks the results speak for themselves.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

A firearm, used as intended, is meant to kill is not true.

Unless, of course, you think the folks in the Olympics doing biathlon, target shooting, skeet and trap are using their firearms incorrectly. Or the cowboy action shooters or sporting clays competitors at the range are. Or the old guy at the farm who likes to plink Coke cans with a 50-year-old .22 rifle.

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Link?

4. YankeeFan

If his plan was to shoot them, why'd he wait until the final day to do it?

5. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I'm not frightened by guns. I'm frightened by brainless people who think it would be possible to ban them in the U.S. without a huge backlash.

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I don't know. And neither do you.

And, how do you get from not knowing the answer to that question to having no doubt it means he was there to shoot the president?

7. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

BUT THE MEDIA!

dixiehack likes this.
  8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Looked at another way: A 7-iron can be used to kill. But its primary purpose is to hit golf balls. A firearm can be used to plink Coke cans. But its primary purpose is to kill.

And understand that I'm not in favor of repealing the Second Amendment, or banning guns in general. Even though the Bible states pretty clearly "Thou shalt not kill," there are valid reasons for killing.

If I lived in a rural area, I'd own a gun and train extensively in its use, in case I had to kill a varmint that was threatening me or my family, whether said varmint was of the animal or human variety. (If I faced a similar situation in my current suburban hellscape, I'd have half the sheriff's department on my street before I could dial the second "1" in 911. I'm lucky that way.)

My mother, a former law enforcement officer and one of the finest people I know, owns an arsenal. She carried a gun for one reason: in case she needed to kill somebody.

My grandfather, a career Army soldier, taught me one thing about his guns, starting from about the time I was 3: He had them in case he needed to kill. If I mishandled one of his guns -- by which he meant if I so much as touched one of his guns -- I could be killed.

Yes, you can use guns for sport, in the exact same way that sporting implements can be used as weapons. But that doesn't change the primary purpose of either.

And my belief on all this is pretty firm: If I don't have a gun, and you don't have a gun, and the third guy who walks into the room with us doesn't have a gun, nobody's gonna get shot. And really, that should be our goal: Nobody getting shot.

Jssst21 likes this.
  9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

To a certain type of person, there can be no higher proof than"it can't be disproven" and "I want to believe it."

10. YankeeFan

I'm not putting my theory out as fact in the fucking New York Times dummy.

Or finding anonymous sources to suggest it so as to present it as more credible.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why don't you want to repeal the Second Amendment then?

12. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Yes. We know.

Flimsy-sourced conspiracy theories are OK, as long as they make Democrats and/or liberals look bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.