1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

The study I linked mentioned that Seattle's economy was strong. Implying the current situation would be the best-case scenario.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The law of demand is not a worldview ...

RickStain likes this.
  9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Certeris paribus isn't just there for decoration.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Why are people looking for a "study," to quantify something that isn't ambiguous?

This is a price floor (the minimum wage).

[​IMG]

If you want to tell me that all things being equal, a minimum wage doesn't have the effect of creating more unemployed workers (increased demand) who want a shortage of jobs that pay the minimum wage (lower supply), you need to do one of two things: 1) Refute the laws of supply and demand, or 2) Demonstrate that the demand for labor is inelastic (i.e. -- rather than a sloping line in which the higher the price of labor, the fewer employees employers want to hire. ... so that instead labor is characterized by a flat line in which employers will (and can afford to) hire the same number of workers, even if it costs them more. And if you do that, you need to refute all the empirical evidence that history has given that demand for labor is NOT inelastic.

Any study that doesn't demonstrate the reality in the graph above is a bullshit study. The only reason that people actually study cause and effect things in which the same cause ALWAYS brings about the same effect (when all other things are equal) is to create a bullshit "study" to try to argue with others that reality isn't reality. It's political hackistry, not a scientific study. Pointing to a "study" is ridiculous. You might as well have a study concluding that the earth revolves around the sun.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

All things aren't equal, people aren't rational actors, all demand curves have some inelasticity.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

There's a swimming pool downstairs from me right now. If I drop a quarter in there, the water level is going to rise. If I drop a 10-foot by 10-foot cube of stainless steel in there, we also know it's going to rise. I'll likely not notice one of these increases in the water level, but if I insist that of course the water level rose, @RickStain would say that's just my worldview talking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.