1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Humungous tax cuts for the rich rich rich guys.

Shocking, eh?

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

1. The Republican Party is indeed rotten, but it's winning.

2. I have a hard time believing that most progressives could accept any position on social issues that was politically right of center. A person could want universal health care and higher income tax rates for the rich, but they waffle on where they stand with HB2...

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  3. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

According to this NYT excerpt (On the Issues: Economy - Election Guide 2008 - The New York Times):

Senator McCain would purchase troubled mortgages directly from financial institutions and restructure them. He wants to cut the capital gains tax rate. He blames lobbyists for the financial crisis.

Dealing with the mortgage crisis
    Purchase troubled mortgages directly from financial institutions and replace them with fixed-rate, government-guaranteed mortgages at the homes’ reduced value.

More housing measures from Mr. McCain
    Tax relief for individuals and businesses
    Cut in half tax rates on long-term capital gains to 7.5 percent in 2009 and 2010. Allow investors to deduct $15,000 — up from the current $3,000 limit — in losses a year for 2008 and 2009. Accelerate tax write-offs for stock losses. Suspend taxes on unemployment insurance benefits in 2008 and 2009. Guarantee 100 percent of all savings accounts for six months. If elected, Mr. McCain would also extend most of the Bush tax cuts for taxpayers that otherwise would expire after 2010 and cut the corporate tax rate. Long-term plan for businesses also includes allowing immediate deductions for businesses that invest in certain capital equipment.

Long-term tax proposals from Mr. McCain
    Individual Retirement Accounts and 401(k)s
    Temporarily suspend mandatory annual withdrawals. Current rules require investors to start selling stocks at age 70½. Allow savers who are younger than 59½ to withdraw up to $50,000 at the lowest tax rate of 10 percent in 2008 and 2009.

Job creation
    Supported the legislation to grant $25 billion in loan guarantees to automakers last month. He proposes building 45 nuclear power plants by 2030 to create 700,000 jobs.

Cost of plan $352.5 billion, the campaign says.
    The mortgage purchase would alone cost taxpayers $300 billion and the campaign says the money would come from the Treasury’s $700 billion rescue plan.

Campaign Web site, Oct. 14, 2008
    Related articles
    McCain Unveils New Economic Proposals (October 14, 2008)

If Elected ...: From 2 Rivals, 2 Prescriptions (October 15, 2008)

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

The tweet has absolutely nothing to do with political correctness. It ignores the reality of foreign policy -- in general and certainly the past 8 years. It was an ignorant statement. Pay attention and put some thought into your posts for a change. Don't just do your filthy parrot routine every time.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Obama wasn't exactly triumphant in the foreign policy department, but Fucko has been disastrously worse in almost every conceivable way.

And it's not too far-fetched to suggest that having a screw-loose baboon in the saddle in the White House may contribute to instability in other nations. Certain factions may see the prospect of a disorganized or disinterested U.S. in any problem situation as an opportunity, figuring the U.S. response will either be to do nothing and try to fob it off on somebody else, or else a ridiculous reckless overreaction.

And, needless to say, since the current ruling junta has signaled its intention to abide by international treaties, compacts, agreements, etc etc only when and if and to what extent they feel it convenient, other nations are highly likely to follow suit (or more likely, beat them to the punch).

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I don't know of any transgendered parrots, but if there are some, I wish they'd talk. I'd listen and learn.

7. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

During the first sentence, I thought you were scolding him for using "that" instead of "who."

YankeeFan likes this.
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I would have been fine with McCain in 2008, even with Palin as veep, but they kept pushing him as a continuation of W's terms, not the McCain of the "Straight Talk Express," and I lost my taste for W's politics after the Florida fiasco on election night. How Gore would have done as president is pure speculation, of course.

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

What did W do wrong on Election Night?

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

11. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that's always been U.S. doctrine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.