1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If the Dems run a bunch of nobodies, against Joe Biden, then Joe will be the nominee.

Same goes for Warren, Sanders, and Clinton.

The question is how many of the +70-year-old potential candidates run.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

How many people knew who Obama was three years before he first ran for president?

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Anyone who paid any attention to politics.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I think a lot of people on this thread overestimate how big a segment of the population that is.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

A story: In the summer of 1975, one of my friends was a Cambridge cabbie. He came by one evening and said, "let's go grab a beer, I made a lot of money today. Had only one customer, some nut in a suit who took me from rich neighborhood to rich neighborhood where he'd stop at a house, stay for an hour, and then leave. The guy told me he's running for President."
    Me: "Really, what's his name."
    "I forget. He said he was from Georgia."
    Picking favorites for the 2020 election today is like picking favorites for the 2020 Kentucky Derby.

melock likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It's three years before the election. A Democratic Presidential poll today would be less accurate than a preseason top 25.

melock and Johnny Dangerously like this.
  7. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

If that's the standard for where Obama was, shouldn't that apply for Booker or Gillibrand?

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Biden will be 77 on Inauguration Day and has his own history of brain aneurysms.

One of the Dems' main avenues of attack will be the irresponsiblity and recklessness of the GOP in running a doddering old brain-addled gaffer, arguably well along the road for dementia, for the presidency. (Even if, god willing, Fucko is out of the picture by then.)

Running Biden (or Sanders) would largely neutralize that line of attack. Even though they both certainly appear much more coherent than Fucko, if they're pushing 80, they can't make any guarantees (even Warren will be nearing 70).

Much as running HRC effectively disarmed the Dems' ability to go nuclear on Trump for dishonesty and ethics.

9. Neutral Corner

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm honestly curious as to WHAT you would expect him to say.

This was nothing more than an exchange of pawns seven months after the first pawn was taken.

If he pretends to be outraged or surprised or disappointed, he looks even more stupid. This move has been expected for months. Unless the U.S. really does expect to keep poking the bear incessantly and the bear never striking back.

But here's what he should probably say:

Dear Vladimir Vladimirovich:

Thank you for your patience over these past seven months. Despite the previous U.S. president's childish expulsion of Russian diplomats ---- on New Year's Eve, no less, the most important holiday for Russian citizens ---- you managed to stave off pressure from the more aggressive forces in your government and refrain from doing the same to American diplomats in Russia. We sincerely appreciate that gesture on your part.

I'm sure you hoped all these months that agreements on a variety of interests could be obtained and that your diplomats would be allowed to return to our country. As did I. But forces in my own government have made any cooperation with your government impossible. Sadly, this has been happening since Allen Dulles sabotaged our nations' first attempts at détente in 1960 and shows no signs of abating.

Good luck with the 2018 World Cup. I used to be a great soccer player, you know. The best.

Donald J. Trump

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You are going to claim he had the mainstream recognition to win then? Bullshit, but that's what you usually deal in. But please, keep deluding yourself into thinking an easy win is coming for your beloved party next time around.

12. Neutral Corner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.