1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's a tautology.

Fortunately, the original scope covers anything that arises during the investigation.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

They granted immunity in instances where they could have simply issued a subpoena.

3. RickStain

They could have tap danced naked down the streets of DC, too. You have no reason to believe that they did anything for any reason other than employing their professional expertise on the matter.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm comfortable allowing Mueller and his prosecutors the ability to conduct the investigation as they see fit, thanks.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Dan Rather:

With all due respect, Mr. President and Attorney General Sessions, it appears you can't handle the truth.

I understand that the press has been a mighty check on the lies, inconsistencies, and cynical ploys that have been coming out of this White House. I understand that it has led to public outcry and a wide ranging criminal investigation by a Special Counsel. I understand that much of this reporting has been based on leaks and unnamed sources, from inside the Administration and from especially the intelligence and law enforcement agencies. The exercise of a free and independent press has been the exact bulwark against a government in need of accountability - just as our Founding Fathers envisioned. I shudder to think where we would be without it today.

So the news that the Justice Department is devoting significant resources to tracking down leaks and changing the rules to target the press is a chilling development. There are certainly times when an issue of great national security should not be shared with the public. And most of the journalism organizations I have known or been a part of take that responsibility very seriously. There are some cases where prosecuting leakers may - may - be warranted. But that is not what is going on here. The goal is very clear. The President has complained bitterly of leaks because he doesn't want to be questioned, even when he has been caught in lie after lie.

“We respect the important role that the press plays and will give them respect, but it is not unlimited,” Mr. Sessions said. “They cannot place lives at risk with impunity.” That is true. So the question is, what lives have been put at risk with all this reporting? And with impunity? Please save us the disingenuousness.

The free press is performing exactly as it needs to. And the proof of that is how seriously those who wish their actions remain undetectable consider the press to be their enemy.

Most reporters I have known take a naked threat such as this as further inspiration to dig even harder to expose the truth. News, as I have said, is what the powerful want to keep hidden.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And businesses "need" employees who are, you know, working.*** Everybody "needs" something.

*** Heh. Russia basically leads the world on maternity leave. In addition to 140 days at 100 percent pay, women get 40 percent pay up to 18 months and are guaranteed to keep their job even after THREE YEARS.

Maternity Leave and Benefits in Russia - Russia - Angloinfo

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

9. RickStain

Well, if he says so, I guess that's that.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Million jobs, huh?

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yeah, pretty much.

Feb: 232,000
    March: 50,000
    April: 174,000
    May: 152,000
    June: 231,000
    July: 209,000
    -------------------

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Gen. Kelly introducing himself to the cabinet.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.