1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Maybe he did after the raid.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Groups of number, resources and ideological coherence sufficient to be reasonable approximations of nations.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

You acknowledged earlier, but seem to be forgetting (or purposely misrepresenting), that those statements are in regard to drone strikes. There is a significant difference in America's policy for deploying drones and its policy for deploying nuclear weapons.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

YF would have made a good lawyer.

bigpern23 likes this.
  5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

It's a difference of scale, yes. It doesn't mean the policy doesn't cover both.

(And, btw, it's unlikely we would need to use nukes to strike at their nuclear capacity.)

This reminds me of the left's reaction to the dropping of the MOAB in Afghanistan. People were upset that we used such a powerful weapon.

I don't get it. You use what's necessary to get the job done.

6. YankeeFan

Way too much schooling, and already enough lawyers in the family.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There are 350 million people in this country. "People" are bound to get upset over, well, anything, mostly because there are a lot of fucking people.

I do not recall a wide-scale protest to the dropping of the MOAB in Afghanistan, same as I recall mostly support for the Syria air strike.

9. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

But that's not "like the world has never seen." He's talking about nuclear war.

10. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

If you're looking for outrage, you'll find outrage.

Inky_Wretch likes this.
  11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The U.S. official policy on the use of nuclear weapons against nuclear states, as detailed in the 2010 Nuclear Posture Report, has been, in part, as follows (until yesterday):
    Nowhere in the report does it detail a policy of pre-emptive nuclear strikes against states that make threats.

*Edited for clarity

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  12. YankeeFan

Sure. That's the implied threat.

But, it's not what's necessary to strike at their nuclear capacity.

I know Trump "scares" folks. Like with Reagan, I like the idea that our enemies might be afraid of what our president is willing to do.

We've "used diplomacy" and "worked with our allies in the region" on this issue for over twenty years, and all along, North Korea has made steady progress towards nuclear capability. They've no reached it.

I'm not really concerned by some tough talk by our president, and the willingness to back it up with force, if necessary.

Overwhelming force is usually the one thing that gets through to a bully.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.